Too much media?

I've seen parents pacify children constantly with cartoons, videos, TV, get in the car, pop in the video immediately. We didn't do it with our kids, but I am wondering if anyone has and now regrets it. What's the down side? Any long term affects? Just curious...

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 11:55 PM on Apr. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• When in the car I allow my DD to play her Leapster on longer road trips. I allow this so she doesn't fall asleep in the car. If she does, bedtime is RUINED. lol Plus, the games on there are educational anyway, so it's all good with me. I don't do TV in the car, and never will. She gets to watch her shows at home, and doesn't really need to anywhere else.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:43 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Thanks for your answer. That sounds reasonable to me. There's nothing wrong with taking advantage of a long trip for learning!

What I've observed from some parents seems really nuts. They are going on a 10 minute trip and pop in a video. Does every moment have to have a screen in the child's face? What about conversation?
    RobotLady

Comment by RobotLady (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Ya, we dont do videos or anything in the car, or during dr. appointments or whatever... a book is about it, or a baby doll.. anything non-electronical.. Id like to teach patience & let them use their imaginations.. IMO its not good for kids to always get entertainment.. All the fun you need you can find in your head if need be..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• need glasses with all that brightness
    biblebook4me

Answer by biblebook4me at 4:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2011