Does anyone know how to go about having my daughter's name changed to our family name without adoption?

how much would it cost?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Apr. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• It depends on the laws where you live. Here in California I believe you would have to go before a judge. You will need court documents in order to change her name on her social security and other legal documents. If the family name is not the daughter's fathers name, he might need to agree.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:40 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• yeah you can with the bio's dad consent i actually went thru the same thing just recently as long as he agrees all you have to do is sign some forms and pay a fee to have the name on the birth and ssn card changed. at least thats what it was in my state it could be different where you are. but basically i think thats all you need
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 1:43 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• her father is in jail presently, and has never had anything to do with her...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:59 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• How old is she? have her go by the family name and keep her "legal" name for legal stuff. the only reason my dd goes by her father's name is that it starts with A-mine starts with W! lol you could even put the two names together with a hyphen.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 3:06 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• In the State of TN you have a court order, ordering for her last name to be changed. In the State of TN they will NOT delete the old name and replace the new name, they draw a line through the old name and type the new name in above it. The certificate will be stamped amended on such and such date. In TN if you request for the Judge to put in the court order, ordering Vital Records to REMOVE the name, then they will delete the original name and replace it with the new one. The certifcate will still be stamped amended. If you get a short form birth certificate, the line through the name does not show up, whereas on the long form it will show up.

I worked for the Amendment Unit of Vital Records for five years, I knew those laws inside out. lol.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 3:48 AM on Apr. 16, 2011