What's the least amount of money you can spend in a week with four kids?

I have breakfast lunch and dinner for one week. The money really adds up.

janeq123

Asked by janeq123 at 2:26 AM on Apr. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• With careful control, you should be able to keep it at about $75.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:29 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• $75 in what world?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• 4 kids cost money to feed and cloths. Price check.

Answer by louise2 at 5:28 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i have 4 kids and just on food we probably spend $100 a week.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 6:03 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Are you talking about food? Bills? Extra stuff? We don't go out to eat (usually) and don't usually do activities that cost us. So $0 would be the least. If you mean the groceries - I go shopping once a month, but it breaks down to $100 per week.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:22 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I could probably do it for about 60 or 70

ramen, mac and cheese, bread, eggs, tuna, pasta, spaghetti sauce, hamburger, milk, potatos, cheese, tortillas, refried beenspeanut butter, jelly
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We spend about $75 on food a week. Although I do not do any boxed foods, everything is from scratch. We spend about $10 a meal for dinners. The hubby and little ones get left overs for lunch. We always have a few bags of apples. They are about $2.50 a bag and they are more than welcomed to those as snacks any time. Then we eat a lot of clementine oranges which I can get a box of for about $5.00. Those are our snacks. Breakfast is cereal, oatmeal, some fruit, yogurt or applesauce. The kids lunches are usually taken care of with let overs Like if we have chicken the night before they have sandwiches. Rice is great for lunch, a raw veggie usually like carrots or peppers, it usually depends on what is on sale. Dinners are usually a couple of fresh vegetables, sometimes potatoes and a meat. We do not buy really expensive pieces but I have learned that marinades go a long way for cheaper pieces. We also divide about 1lb
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• between us. Sorry for so much but that is how we make it work.

Gas is a big one for us because I drive a large SUV but it is flex fuel and it is staying right around $3 which helps us a ton. I spend probably about $30 a week at this point driving my little one to and from school and running errands.

As far as clothing, if it is not 75% off I don't buy it. Taget, Children's Place, Penneys and Old Navy are my favorite places to shop. I only buy shirts if they are about $3.00 are under, with pants about $7.00 is my limit.. Buying clothing here and there and out of season as well as a size ahead makes it so that I can buy clothes cheaply.

Gosh I could go on and on I guess. We go out for treats every so often but we head to Wendy's for $1 Frostys or places where we can split a treat. If we eat out we split meals and only order water as drinks. I guess it makes us cheap but we live a comfortable life with lots of love.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I can spend nothing in a whole week, if I have stocked up cupboards. I don't buy new clothes weekly, I don't buy groceries weekly. I could feed 4 kids 3 meals a day for 7 days for $50 and it wouldn't be crap foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Just re-read the question. It makes sense - must have been tired earlier. I can spend as little as $25 for a week because I keep my cupboards stocked with staples. I would buy milk, eggs, and fresh produce with the $25. A few years ago, when we had 3 children and not making very much, I spent $40 a week, regularly, on groceries/toiletries.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:43 AM on Apr. 16, 2011