Can you have a bruised rib or something without externally visible bruises?

DH pretty much punched me in the ribs yesterday morning (I was trying to wake him up for work and I started to fall off the bed, he jumped to grab me, still half asleep, and hit me full force), and it hurts to breathe, my bra is killing me on thatt side and it hurts to move a lot. Unless it gets bad, I'm not going to a doctor over this because I don't have insurance.

I've had a cracked rib before and it hurt similar to this (only way worse), but that was from a nasty fall and I had serious bruises.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Health

• i would say take alot of ibuprofen and take it easy for awhile and if it doesn't ease up then yes go to the doctor
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 2:39 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Definitely possible.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:50 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• yes you can.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:51 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• He could also have knocked one or two out of place - that hurts worse than a bruised rib. A chiropractor would be a good idea, or even a massage - some LMTs can work ribs back into place (but I prefer my chiro).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• You should def have that checked out.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• yes
    onecuteladybug2

Answer by onecuteladybug2 at 6:52 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• so it's been a couple days how do your ribs feel today? have you gone/not gone to the doc? just wondering about ya making sure your doing ok.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:15 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I'm hurting still, but ibuprofin helps some, and leaning to the other side. I wake up hurting really bad, but it eases up when I sit on the couch, and after the ibuprofin kicks in I can breathe a little easier and take deeper breaths. I don't think I'm going to go to the doctor. I'm just taking it easy and moving as little as possible. I've also found that doing the mountain and upward solute yoga poses (or at least I think that what they're called) helps some. Thanks for checking up on me :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• After they got REALLY painful, I ended up going to the ER the night I posted last. They were just bruised, but bruised all the way from right under my breast to the bottom.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:40 AM on Apr. 27, 2011