5 month old sleep...Am i missing something?

My LO is almost 5 months old, and is breastfed. For a little while he was sleeping about 6 hours at night before he needed to nurse. Now it's every 4 hours. He won't take a paci and he won't take a bottle unless it's someone other than me and I am not in the house. He also still nurses about every 2-3 (mostly 2 ) hours during the day. He's my youngest and he's the first baby that I have successfully breastfed. Am I missing something? He's gassy, but he's always been that way. He's on Zantac. I also think he's teething, BUT I give him tylenol when he seems really uncomfortable and at night if he's uncomfortable and he STILL gets up at least twice.. sometimes more. And eating every two hours during the day... is that still normal? I thought it is supposed to me 6 feedings a day by this time...

mantamoo

Asked by mantamoo at 8:05 AM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Completely normal!!! My 4th slept through the night (8+ hours) from about 2 weeks on . . . then at 6 months he started waking up during the night. He is now 17 months and my husband is getting up with him to try and get him used to sleeping and not nursing. Anyway, they have so many growth spurts. If he is nursing a lot when you get up with him, he probably NEEDS that right now. Around 9 or 10 months, when my son started solids, we started working on getting him to sleep during the night. He is still up once, but I only nurse him in the morning now. And like I mentioned, he is 17 months. :) Hang in there! You are doing great and giving him what he needs the most.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:11 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• What about during the day? He still nurses about every 2 hours during the day...
    mantamoo

Comment by mantamoo (original poster) at 8:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• That's okay too! Every baby is different. It WILL change, I promise. :) Is he nursing from both sides during the day?? If not, I would encourage him to nurse from both. Also, does he get distracted from nursing? With one of my children, I had to go in a quiet room and dim the lights when I nursed so that he would focus. Kind of hard when there are other children, but it works!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:32 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I try to get him to nurse from both sides during the day. He does sometimes. He doesn't get too distracted unless he's having an off day. He's pretty much all business when it comes to nursing. I know it will change, but I am exhausted! haha
    mantamoo

Comment by mantamoo (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I completely understand the exhaustion!!! Last Sunday the kids slept all night!!! I think it has been 2 years since that happened. At least one of them is up during the night - if not a couple a couple of times. Mine are 5, 4, 2, and 1.

I have started FORCING myself to go to bed early. That has really helped. I'm thinking by the time they are teenagers I will be too tried to stay up and worry about them. :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:41 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Thats completely normal. My son was sleeping through the night at a pretty early age (4 weeks) but he was eating every 2 hours during the day until he was about 6 or 7 months. He might just be a going through a growth spurt and want more to eat. Maybe try feeding him food or cereal before bed and during the day.
    lucasmommy519

Answer by lucasmommy519 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• A bottle/formula baby will go to less feedings as they get older - a breastfed baby will not - 6 feedings a day would starve most booby babies! He sounds totally normal. Breastmilk is always digested faster, and their tummies don't stretch out as much with breastmilk so it's empty faster, so breastfed babies always need to be fed more often. He could very well be entering a growth spurt too, which means more often yet. Just keep nursing him as often as he wants, as long as he wants, and eventually he'll slow down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• maybe as the amount goes up that he needs the amount hes getting isnt actually going up with his needs and the older he gets the more he needs and that would explain why its happening now
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2011