Do you feed the critters?

Last night DH came home with a bird, hummingbird and squirrel feeder. I have been wanting to get something for the birds. Do you have anything out for the critters? Do you still fill it up in the winter?

Shaylyn318

Asked by Shaylyn318 at 8:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Yep, we have bird houses, feeders and whats not. I have them up near the house so the kids and I (cats too) can look outside and see the different animals. we have a bird book that we will look up the birds in to see what kind they are. I love it!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:37 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• bird feeders

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:39 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I plan on getting bird and hummingbird feeders, but have to make sure I protect it from the squirrels. The problem with our squirrels is that someone on our street must feed them. Because they're way too friendly. They won't come right up to you, but they have no issue standing a foot away from you, even when we have the dog with us. And they climb up onto our porch without hesitation. So, it's going to be quite the challenge to keep them out of our feeders and garden.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:50 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• no, i have 10 dogs of my own ( 7 are newborn puppies) and a stray dog had her 3 puppies under my house...having all them to feed is enough lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:26 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We have a bird feeder, but usually wind up feeding the squirrels instead. Oh well, all God's creatures have to eat.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:51 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• no
    sendcheer

Answer by sendcheer at 2:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• It is actually more important to feed them in the winter. If you do start feeding them in the winter, you should continue to do so and not let the feeders go empty. Birds that stick around in the winter need to eat a lot of food to survive the cold months and if they depend on your feeder and then it is gone that can be very bad for them. However, feeding them in the summer is a lot of fun because you get so many pretty birds that leave when it gets cold. I feed the birds and put peanuts out for the squirrels. My neighbor has a pair of humming birds that come every year to nest in her yard, I put out feeders but don't get them to my yard too often, because of my dang dog.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 3:58 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Oh and if you have wood peckers in your area, get suet feeders. They will come and are fun to watch. I did have a hawk that would come to my feeders in the winer too and eat my birds. I hated that dang bird.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 4:01 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I have a bird feeder out.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:23 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• We used to feed the birds but the bear tore down our bird feeder, lol
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 11:24 AM on Apr. 18, 2011