What is the point in the wire inside bras?

I admit, I am the woman who buys the bra, gets it him and attacks it to get that stuff out. If i don't i end up with bruised or fractured ribs.. what is the point in the wire anyway?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Hanes catalogs sell bigger bras w/o the wire.
    The wire help to shape and lift, personally loved them can't wait to wear them agian once I stop breastfeeding.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 8:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• They have wireless bras now that may be beneficial to you.

The underwire was invented in the bra to help support the breasts. If it's causing you to bruise then maybe the size you're getting is too small.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:48 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• yes, you are buying the wrong size. there are bra out there without the wire, OP. besides, since the bra is built to use the wire, once you take it out, the bra no longer is shaped the same. you are most definitely not wearing the proper sized bra, i'd bet.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:49 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• You shouldn't even feel the wire. It's supposed to give you support. If you take the wire out doesn't the bra gap on the sides?
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 8:50 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• For lift and support. I am only a B cup (and the B came after 3 kids) but I have to have the wires because GRAVITY is setting in. :)

Have you tried a playtex cross your heart - no wires - lots of support (so my sister says who is a DD) they are pricey but.....
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 8:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• my wire bra's never fall apart. i could manage to keep mine for years. You're not supposed to put them in the dryer...

i like the under wire bra's. They keep my boobs perky looking & round. The bra's without them always make my boobs look weird.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:25 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• agreed, underwire bras were invented for added support. i dont particularly like them because after a few months they fall apart in the dryer. atleast mine do! i try to look for the ones now that dont have wires.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:49 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• they poke me in the armpits! Hate em! But try finding a D cup without them...

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• You have the wrong size bra as most women usually tend to do. They sell wireless bras along with a variety of other type of bras. JcPenny has a large variety of ones as I'm sure other places do too but that is where I go for mine. The wire is for support & believe me I need it with my little deflated balloons I have! I need the wire & a large hump inside them to lift & keep them in place lol otherwise they literally flop out the sides of a bra! yikes!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:06 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I always thought they were to help the bra hold its shape and add support. I would also go in for a good bra fitting. I have had to finally wear the size I am instead of the size I want to be (giant boobs...more expensive to cover). That said, the money I have spent on a "good" bra that is my right size is worth it. I don't have many, but the ones I have are so much more comfortable and "do the job" better than the cheap ones I dumped money into all the time.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:19 AM on Apr. 16, 2011