Toddler not sleeping through the night due to walking/talking in sleep and nightmares.

So I recently thought DS was going through seperation anxiety. I still think he is going through a little bit of that but no longer think that is what is affecting his sleep.

The night before last DS crawled into bed with me at 1:30am. I tried to put him back in his bed but he wasn't haveing it. So i thought well I let him fall asleep with me then I'll pick him up and put him back in his own bed. Never happened. I kept thinking he wasn't asleep because he was chatting, clapping his hands, wiggling around,rubbing my face and playing with my hair. I kept telling him Liam you need to go to sleep or I will put you in your bed. It wasn't until 5 am that I realized...He was asleep.

Well last night me being exahausted from the night before crashed. DH got up with DS when he came in. I guess he couldn't get him to stay in his bed so he crawled in there with him. He told me this morning that DH kept talking and wiggling in his sleep. Also, that a couple times he started crying but was still asleep.

So obviously I think this is why he is haveing trouble sleeping. Is there anything I can do to help him? Poor baby is just so tired.

Liamsmom09

Asked by Liamsmom09 at 8:53 AM on Apr. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have the same problem with my DS. He wakes up a lot in the middle of the night, will open his eyes, talk, walk, hug, etc, but he's asleep. He even spent an hour convinced he'd pooped in his pants one night, even though I took him to the potty and showed him there was nothing there. Some nights are better than others. I haven't figured out the trigger yet. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:35 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• what does he do right before he goes to bed
    video games or computer will keep them awake

try a hour before bed time to have a parent/ kid talk on the couch maybe about their day or read calm book helps
    biblebook4me

Answer by biblebook4me at 4:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• He doesn't have trouble going to sleep at night. He's 23 months and we have had the same rutine for the whole time.
    Liamsmom09

Comment by Liamsmom09 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2011