Is this a good enough reason to have your membranes stripped?

I didn't get it done with my first pregnancy and have been reading up on it. I'll be 38 weeks not at this appointment, but my next, and was considering asking my doctor about having this done if I've started dilating. My husband's work schedule is a little different then your standard 8-5. He works 8 days straight, 10 hour days, then has 6 off. We were hoping that'd I'd go into labor either right at the end of his work days because his boss will only give him a day or two off (if that), or right at the beginning of his days off so that we get as much time together with the baby as possible.

Have any of you gotten your membranes stripped after 38 weeks? When did you go into labor afterwards? Would you recommend it?

ours

Asked by ours at 9:45 AM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I did with each pregnancy and I would recommend it. It is uncomfortable but it helps thing progress.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Yes and it worked! I had my doctor strip me at closer to 39 weeks on a wednesday..i didnt go into labor so i had my husband do it twice about around 1am sunday morning and i started having labor pains around 3am Sunday morning. It works! And the doctors do it all the time so yes i would do it =]]
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i had my membranes stripped with my last baby, 3 times and it didnt work! lol- i was finally induced at 39 weesk on the dot b/c dh was leaving for afghanistan and i wanted him to atleast hold her b4 he left. . GL to you tho :D
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:50 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I've seen doctors induce when DH has a schedule like yours. I'd go for it. Can you have the doctor strip your membranes on DH's 7th work day?  It can take a day or two to work.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I've never even heard of doing that. YOu do need to talk to your Dr. andge his or her opinion and find out what the pros and cons for doing this is. You also need to find out how safe it is for both you nd your baby. If it will not harm either of you and there is not any serious cons then I don't see where it would hurt to have it done if you are wanting to have natural instead of C-section. Good luck and congrats on the baby
    CandySarasmom

Answer by CandySarasmom at 10:03 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I was thinking of having them do it actually on the 29th because it would give her 2 or 3 days to come if it worked. :] I'd be 39 weeks then too instead of 38 and he'd have to take off a couple days, but it's what would work best.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I had mine stripped at 39 weeks because Dh was deploying soon, but nothing happened. It's a little uncomfortable, and I had spotting, but no baby. So she did it again a few days later still nothing. I ended up being induced and his Daddy Deployed 9 days later. So the baby isn't necessarily going to come out from it. It's just an option.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:11 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I never had it done, but that is because i had all 4 of my boys around 38 weeks. I know what you mean about crazy work scedules....my husband works 7 days a week all 10 to 12hr days. He has his own driving business and is a Realtor. I would ask your doctor to do it...what could it hurt?
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I was just going to say...to plan on it working cuz for some ppl it doesnt work. It didnt work for me when my doctor did it but my husband and i had sex and then later i had him try it and i went into labor 2 hours later...so it just depends..
    GL =]]
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 10:18 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• had it done at 39 weeks with my first, and he still did not come till 42 weeks. Other women I know have it done and it does work. I honestly think it depends on wether or not baby is ready to come. Nothing is really gonna work 100% unless baby wants to come :) It is worth a shot to try though, just do your research first :)
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 10:25 AM on Apr. 16, 2011