Yesterdays "silence" day.....

I am NOT against gay and lesbian....it is my understanding that this day was to "speakup" (of sorts) against bullying of gay and lesbians. OK but shouldn't it have been a day of "silence" for BULLYING period? Or maybe I just misunderstood the whole thing.....

i didn't know which category to put this is....

brypmom

Asked by brypmom at 10:01 AM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's about TOLERANCE. And just because it was in support of tolerance of gays and lesbians doesn't mean it doesn't help tolerance of those that are different in general. This is important because kids are KILLING THEMSELVES because of the intolerance and hatred of others and that is UNACCEPTABLE!!

Letstalk747: Your attitude is why there is bullying and intolerance in school. School is just the perfect place for events like a Day of Silence because school is where the majority of intolerance is happening, where most of the bullying and suicide is taking place. Start awarness where the problem lies and then work on the parents that teach intolerance and bullying in their own home.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• So, in your line of thinking then there shouldn't be Breast Cancer Walks, it should just be a cancer walk in general. I honestly don't see a problem with people who are standing together for a specific cause.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• the day of silence isnt only about people bullying the LGBTQ community, its to show support for the people who have had friends/family that lost their lives either due to a hate crime,suicide....or are silenced for being the way they are

people who do the day of silence willingly give up their voices for the people who lost theirs
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 1:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I was wondering why they had silence at DD's HS yesterday.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I agree with JeremysMom - going along that line of thinking there shouldnt be walks for specific types of cancer just cancer in general or certain colors in support of certain causes there should just be one ribbon for everything. I dont see anything wrong with people coming together for a specific cause, I participate in the day of silence every year even though im not in school anymore
    AshMac416

Answer by AshMac416 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• That is NOT what I was getting at. I ASKED if I had misunderstood and obviously I didn't think along the lines of the individual cancer walks, md marathons etc. My apologies.
    brypmom

Comment by brypmom (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I agree with the PPs. I do think though that they should have a moment of silence as well.
    TexasWife

Answer by TexasWife at 10:27 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• never heard of this , for gay and lesbian at some schools , aint the place for that
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• AMEN, tyfry7496!!!!
    GothicChk52

Answer by GothicChk52 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2011