I'm worried about my husband

He is constantly watching the military channel and thinks he is on it. He is too old to enlist and has a major obsession with being in the military. He gets up really close to the TV and pretends like he is there. Its taking over our lives. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Relationships

• You know him best. Does he go through phases? I know that I go through stages in my life where certain things interest me and then I move on to something else. But you mentioned him quiting his job to watch TV. And you mention that he thinks he's there. Men do have an instinctual fascination with weaponry and things of that nature so yes, some of it IS normal but some of it sounds a little off. He's obviously intellegent and enjoys learning, because that's basically what he's doing by watching but any type of obsession may be a sign that he needs a little bit of outside help. I wish you luck.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 1:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Maybe he just feels guilty cause our country is in such dilema and he cannot do his part...... I dont know what to tell ya I would just try to support him and maybe tell him what an affect its taking on you and your marriage!! Again i dont know but hopefully this will all be over soon and we will have happy things on TV to watch!!! good luck
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:41 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• This is unusual. How old is he? If he is old enough this could be the start of dementia. If not have him see a counselor. Fixating like that and pretending he is there could be the sign of a mental disorder. Good luck!
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 12:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• He is 31. He quit his job because he was afraid he would miss something on the military channel. I am waiting to go to bed and he is still up watching it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• he sounds mental. get him some help. and maybe accidentally forget to pay the cable bill lol
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 12:52 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• HE QUIT HIS JOB TO WATCH TV!!???!!!!????!! WOW I think it is time for some help for him, I would tell him he needs to seek professional help ASAP!! good luck hun
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• That sounds like a mental disorder. Nothing wrong with having one but it could really affect his quality of life if he doesnt recieve help. Make him an appt with a doctor and make him go. Quiting your job for something like the military channel is not normal. I commend you on your strength. Living with a loved one who has a mental disorder is challenging.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 12:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My husband wants to add that if he really feels an urge to be involved with the military he can donate his time to the veterans or get a job at the va center. But still make sure he gets a mental evaluation.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 12:56 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• does anyone think it could be normal though?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Do you think its normal? If you did then why would you post asking for advice? You should trust your instincts.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 1:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2008