How can I child proof my sliding glass door?

Chris just started opening the sliding glass door by himself. Need to be able to lock it. Live in an apartment so can't drill holes or such. Any good ideas? Also the front door is an issue, i saw an alarm that uses tape so no holes but there is a stick out door frame.. so no place to stick the part that goes on the wall... thank you for any ideas!

iggles1967

Asked by iggles1967 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Lowe's and Home Depot have these things made by 3M that you stick to your sliding glass doors (up high) when you want to go out the door you flip the plastic piece down flat and the door opens. When you want to child proof, you flip the plastic thing up and the door can't open. They are less than $5 for a 2 pack.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Get a thumb lock for the track. They're super easy to operate, but kids can't. They're also great to actually secure the door because an intruder can pop those sliding doors out of the track and enter the home so easily.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• go to home depot after measuring the space behind the door that slides back and get a piece of PVP pipe cut to the exact size of that space so that it fits tightly so the door will not slide open and it will be hard to pull out for the baby. I also did an onlin search as I now live in FL and we are considering buying a home with a pool so we will be looking into all types of safety devices here is one I found there are several others if you go to Google and simply search for sliding door safety locks it will bring up several sights to look into priced anywhere from 8.00 upwards to 60.00 or more

http://www.kidsafeinc.com/product/8702/Sliding-Door-Flip-Lock.html?meta=GBASE&metacpg=8702&utm_source=gbase&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=&utm_campaign=8702&ctype=2&gclid=CJ__hYO5oagCFaxk7AodEX9oHw
    JBaby61

Answer by JBaby61 at 12:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• for sliding glass door i use a shower curtail rod that rolls along to adjust and put it up high so kid cant reach it and no one can pop open from out side to break in
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• For the front door, I know there's some sort of rubber guard you can put on it. For the sliding door, but 2x4 against the sliding door. You know there's the door and then the window next to it? Put a stick there to keep it from openning.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We lived in an apartment with our first 2. My ds was an escape artist, so I went to the landloard. Because it was a safety issue he had the maintenance man install child proof devices for me. Maybe talk to whoever you rent from, if it's done by their maintenance people they might let you drill.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• for our back door all we have is a stick and when they side it open it will not. Can find locks as well for the doors. Front door might be able to go a hardware store for ideas.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:50 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We use a shower curtain rod. It easily pops in and out of place. We put it on the top part also.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 1:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• They make safety polls for sliding doors. Sorry, I don't know what they are called.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 5:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• You can cut a stick (like a broom stick) to fit in the sliding glass door and then it cannot be opened unless you pull it out. Home Depot sells a lock that you can put at the top of the door. It installs very easy and you just pop it over and the door will not open.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 3:49 AM on Apr. 17, 2011