What?!

The city of Waco, Texas has made a new ban on animals. The city ordnance now wants you to have ALL dogs fixed or pay a fine of $800 per dog per year! OMG!

Is it just me or is that a bit extreme?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No. i think its a great idea but they should offer a 3rd option by letting breaders have a breading license so they don't have to fix their dogs.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• This is being blown so far out of proportion - if you want to breed, you pay $50/yr for a breeding license. If you don't want to breed, or you don't get the license, but still don't neuter, THEN you face an $800 fine. It's not any different than a dog license most places require anyway. The license costs less than it costs to have an animal spayed, and it's cheaper than most places would charge for neutering, too, unless you're getting a discount for adopting a shelter dog.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I think they also need to do a lot of neuter scooters before this goes in effect...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• unless you are a breeder, your pet does not need to be able to reproduce. I agree with that---
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• $800.00 ---that's quite a steep fine. It makes sense to get them 'fixed'. Get your pets spayed or neutered right away as soon as the Vet says it is time and the cost has to be a lot less than the fine. We always did.

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Just take a walk through any animal shelter. There is a fifty dollar per pet per year fee if you want to keep your pet intact.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• It will teach people to not be stupid when it comes to pets it will also make them more responsible I think they should do this everywhere
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 4:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Our fine for not having a tagged dog in public is like 200 dollars. The tag is $15 dollars. It is about being responsible and thank you NP for posting the rest of the story.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Wow!  What about the breeders?  So they'll now have to pay that much per animal?!  That seems a bit extreme.  Of course on the other hand, in my town alone I see TONS of stray dogs.  Stray dogs that are wrecking havoc on people so I guess I can see the need to encourage getting your animals fixed.  Still, seems like a personal choice rather than the citys.  Not even a breeder but maybe you just want to mate this dog you have with this other dog you have, so you have to pay 1600 bucks.  Sounds kind of "scammish" to me.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• part of it is also studies have been done that say that dogs that are not fixed are more likely to attack humans and other animals than dogs that are fixed. and since they can't really put a ban on the breed of pit bull since it isn't really a "breed" per say, but a very subjective way of calling out an animal and is often wrong then they are thinking they can cut back on animal attacks in this way.

mrs.trial

Answer by mrs.trial at 3:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2011