How can I stop a Christian from patronizing me

I have this relative who despite being very nice is super christian, and she thinks that because I am pretty much an atheist I just don't know anything. She treats my views like I am just ignorant of the truth, basically to her religion shouldn't be a choice, it should just be a fact of life like oxygen and water. I love her as a relative but I cant take her patronizing attitude anymore, how do I shut her up for good without hurting her feelings too bad?

I want to keep associating with her but its really hard not to want to punch her face off.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would tell her flat out "Obviously, we're going to have to agree to disagree on the topic of religion. Let's stop discussing it now while we can still stand each other"
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Shut the conversation down, don't feed into it. Kindly, but firmly, remind her that she is supposed to show by example, not by words, and that she's doing it wrong.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• You cant get her to shut up...thats the first thing you need to realize.
    You can no more get her to shift her thoughts on the perfectness of her beliefs than she can make you change yours.

All you can do is tell her how you feel, express your dislike of her behavior and ask her to stop. If she continues then change the subjects when they come up or walk out of the room until the subject is over and done with.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• You are either going to have to put up with her attitude or risk hurting her feelings/making her mad by telling her the truth. I would take the second option because she is either oblivious to the fact that she treats you like that or she knows and just doesn't care.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Tell her she can think her way and you can think your way. Let her know that she is responsible for HER salvation (according to her Christian beliefs) not yours. And leave it at that. If she tries to engage you, just tell her that this topic is off limits to her. My mom tries to do that to me and I let her know it is off limits to her! I will not discuss religion with her because she is soooo closed minded.
    sunrisekn

Answer by sunrisekn at 3:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I had to tell my mom I would no longer talk about God or religion with her husband because I couldn't deal with it from him- and this was after knowing him ONE day! She and her side of the family are bad too...but seriously, this guy is too much. So when she asked me what I thought of him the day after meeting him- I told her "he will be fine if he leaves God and religion out of our conversations."
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• You can tell her you don't want to hear it, but ultimately you can't control what she does or says, you can only control your reaction to it. You can refuse to engage, but even that isn't guaranteed to keep her from trying... Just stick to your guns, and hopefully she'll get the point and choose to stop.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Well...mature people can agree to disagree. Maybe she can be re-familiarized with that concept?
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Now you know how the Christians feel sometimes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Apr. 17, 2011