Why do some women spend a fortune on a dress they will only wear once?

I have always wondered why some women choose to spend a ton of money on a dress they wear for a day. I get that they want to look nice, but there are ways to look nice without spending thousands of dollars. Men just rent.

I ask because my brother got married and his wifes dress was in excess of $2000, I could have lived for a month on that much money and now her dress is in their storage unit just collecting dust. I think a better idea would have been to spend a couple hundred dollars and save the rest for the honeymoon, but thats just me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Because some people don't know what to do with their money. I agree with you. I think weddings, proms, etc. are getting ridiculous. Between the tanning, the nails, the hair, etc., it costs a fortune anymore.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Why do some women judge the choices of others, especially when it has absolutely nothing to do with them?

Personally I believe that it is part of our consumer society. Gotta have this and that and spend as much as you can for your wedding while not mentally planning for the rest of your life.

My wedding dress was perfect and second hand because I couldn't see spending more than $500 on a dress. It was my choice. My cousin rented hers, as did my sils. It was their decisions and if it had been one available to me, I might have gone with that too.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I have no freaking clue, lol.  To each their own, if that's what you want to spend your moolah on, go for it.  Not my style though, lol.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• If you have the money and want to make your day special and the way you envisioned it then who cares? Its their money right?

Answer by gemgem at 12:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Yeah I got voted down too. Who cares? Someone who thinks its our business to tell someone how to spend their money is my guess.

Answer by gemgem at 1:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I have no idea....my wedding dress only cost $300 (and it is freaking beautiful) but I wasnt able to wear the damn thing at my wedding because it wasnt ready yet!!! God I was so mad! It was a super casual backyard wedding though so I just wore a nice summer dress and it was fine....but I would have been PISSED OFF if i would have spent thousands of dollars on a dress I DIDNT EVEN GET TO WEAR ONCE! lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I don't know, but I hate all things wedding.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Wow, what is with all the vote downs? troll alert!
    Anonymous

• I dont see how it is anyones business how much someone spends on their wedding dress.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i borrowed mine from a friend it was the most amazing dress ever :)
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 3:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2011