Getting kittens/puppies

Ok it is really normal for people to sell off puppies or kittens but some reason I always think that is sooo cruel to sell a cat/dogs kids away without their permission. Like you wouldn't dare think of doing it to a human. They have a kid and people come in and check it out they hand them a few dollar bills and ur baby is gone.

I want soe kittens from downstairs but I feel bad taking away a cat's kittens :(

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 1:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Pets

• I know it sounds bad but the animals r o.k. with it. It does not bother them as much as u think.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Animals dont really have the same emotional relationships with theyre babies like we do, its funny because they can have relationship with theyre owners, but not with theyre babies, i mean i suppose its possible but, if you notice. doggy and kitty mamas will look for theyre babies for a few minuets, mostly because of that natural instinct to protect and gather, but after a little bit it doesn't even bother them. they would be much more upset if theyre owners left and did not return.

AydensMommy1109

Answer by AydensMommy1109 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I am with you on that one.  I always feel bad also.  The first cat I had a few years ago, all of her babies were born dead.  I decided I would let her try one more time to have kittens.  Oh man she kept moving the kittens around and trying to get them to feed, I felt SO bad!  Her next litter she had 2 and we kept them.  I couldn't bare to get rid of them.  Now we do the stray thing.  My daughter has a cat and she was left abandoned.  It serves 2 purposes I think, the kitten got a good home and gets lots of love, and I don't have to feel badly because I bought an animal when there are so very many out there who don't have a home.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Well the cats must leave the nest sometimes,, or else your going to have more and more cats,, I do agree with taking a child's pet away, but much better for the pet if the home they are in is not going to give it attention or love,, or worse abuse it,, I think your talking about 2 different issues, but I think a kitty would be nice for you kids,, just be sure to get it spayed/neuter,, or else your going to be faced with having more and more cats,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• On the other side of things, what about that hoarder that goes from 3 cats to 30 because they were not fixed? Kitten Season is coming up and I think that's sad too. Hundreds of cats are born each year that are unwanted. Often times because of an irresponsible pet owner not getting their cat spayed, and then letting it roam around the neighborhood.

No, I don't really feel sorry for the animals that are being sold. I don't think it's cruel to the animals, I think it's irresponsible of the owners to have let it happen. UNLESS it's a breeder that is selling animals, but they won't be outside a retail store selling puppies or kittens out of a cardboard box. Even some breeders (see puppy mills) are incredibly irresponsible.

I have 3 cats that I've gotten from a shelter or inherited because some irresponsible person didn't want their animals anymore.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:12 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• It's not cruel really. It's not taking their babies away. Cats and dogs mature much faster than humans so by the time they're sold to new homes, it's no different than an 18 year old moving out of the house. In just a few short weeks, cats and dogs have done what it takes us years to do as parents. They have given them the manners and social skills essential to their survival in a human home. That means mommy cat's job is done. She has raised these kids and is ready to have more. After that point, they don't bother much with the kittens so they don't really miss them. They're ready to fill their nest again but human parents have to empty it for her first by adopting her grown up kitties. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 2:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• ok..that is comfoting. I couldn't stand taking someone's baby away. Yeah I ahve to check out how much shots and neuter stuff cost. Prob going to the Humane Society :) I want a small kitten cause my son is 2 and teenage and adult cats I think are to big for him and kinda scare him. So I think something smaller than he is he can handle. it will be fun to have some other life in this house :) Plus I LOVE cats. I use to feed strays until I realized that wasn't a good idea (they spread the word and more came) lol

I had a cat that had babies and they died :( mommy cat bounced back and hit the streets lol
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2011