Seriously, at what age should a child begin talking at least a little?

Just wondering because my niece is 19 months and doesn't say a word. Do you think she's OK? What could be a reason?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hi ! The saying is: Walk at 1, Talk at 2, Think at 3. ... sounds like your niece is okay. Although a little girl usually is a bit ahead of the developmental curve compared to boys. Every baby needs to be spoken to constantly by her mother and father - saying little baby nursery rhymes and patter about "there's my little rose-bud !". ... ALL the time, while stirring up the porridge, while changing a diaper, while the child is beside them on the couch or playing with them on the floor. If TV is commanding their attention and causing them to ignore her, then she might indeed be in trouble developmentally. ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:47 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I have a 15 month old who can say 30 words. No kidding! She is a little more advanced than most kids but I do know that my doc. told me that most kids her age can say 5-15 words. I do not know of many kids that do not have some kind if special need that cant talk at 19 month. Have a lot of little kids in my family and they where all saying something by one except my little nephew who has downs and is not 2 and is just now talking with a lot of therapy. I think that some kids don’t talk till there a little older than one but most all kids talk by 13 -15 months I would say that you should tell your sister or brother that they need to go down and have there little girl tested for hearing and for any other kind of disability. Good luck and god bless
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My DS, When he hit 18 months and wasn't talking or walking. I went spastic. Asking my mom, the Dr. even the nurse. The Dr. and nurse said "He doesn't talk because you do it for him. He uses gestures and you respond. Why should he walk and talk when he has you figured out." He will be 22 tomorrow and now I can't get him to shut up. LOL I wouldn't worry yet knowing what I know today. Oh, he really didn't start talking til he was 3 yrs old. Then he copied everything I said but you really had to listen to him.
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 3:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Does the child seem to understand what is going on and to make her needs and desires known in some way? Does she seem okay?
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 5:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• http://www.babycenter.com/404_my-18-month-old-doesnt-talk-yet-what-should-i-do_6893.bc
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Dec. 2, 2008