My 9 month old still wakes up once or twice a night!

My son drives me insane. He goes to sleep at 9pm and he ALWAYS wakes up around 2am and just cries and cries. He eats before he goes to bed and his diaper is changed. It doesn't matter what I do he screams and I resort to giving him a bottle which I don't like to do. Anyone else having this problem? It's so irritating because it's not like he's just whining, he cries really loud and even screams like he's dying! Someone please, I need advice...

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 1:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's probably hungry or gassy at night or just uncomfortable and wants you to move him. Or he might miss you and want you to hold him. Babies are like that.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I would just feed him...dont worry so mich of what the "norm" is...he will grow out of it..my baby is 9 months and has acid refluxand is teething and is an awful sleeper. You are not the only one and i feel for you. My older son was like that too and it does get better!!! Hang in there and just go with the flow
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• My son's 3.5yo, and he still wakes up in the middle of the night. It's a long time to go without a snack or a drink...heck, I still get up for a glass of water and a pee in the middle of the night.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 2:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• sounds like gas to me try some gas drops
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I have 5 children and all of mine did the same thing around 9 months. My peditrician and many parenting magazines I have read stated this is a normal occurence. As adults we wake up several times a night to reposition ourselves..though most people are not fully awake and don't remember moving. When babies do this, they don't know how to put themselves back to sleep yet. So, they fuss and need help going back to sleep. Then of course they will notice how hungry they are and fuss even more. I would usually try ignoring them or going in and speak softly patting their backs, telling them it is ok and that I love them but it is nigh night time...I would avoid picking them up because they will expect this from now on and scream until you do pick them up..after a few nights they would soon fall back to sleep on their own..It is not easy and deffinitely pulls at your heart strings..Good Luck!! Hopefully it will pass soon.
    hoping73

Answer by hoping73 at 10:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Have you considered that he is legitimately hungry during the night, and THAT is why he is waking? What have you tried to do to comfort him, before feeding him? Personally, based only on the facts you've given, I would think he is hungry, and feed him as soon as he wakes, and then put him back to sleep.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• My 9 mo old is doing the same thing. I have no clue. She will wake up between3-6 times a night, just to whine somethimes. It gets to the point where we're both crying our eyes out. I check all normal stuff, give her pain meds. ..sing, rock, everything. Nothing appeases her. If one of us figures it out.. Be sure to let the other know. My heart goes out to you. its really effing stressful.
    cecil119

Answer by cecil119 at 1:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I'm going to talk to the ped. next time we visit, as my baby was sleeping through the night just fine starting at 6 months or so and out of no where started waking up every night just like your little one at around 2 am. (normal 9 mo diet of solids and breastfeeding and feeds before going to bed as long as he likes) He acts like he is starving, but if I rock him, message him, or sometimes just change his diaper he usually goes back to sleep, so I know he isn't otherwise he would still stay up. It drives me insane as well as he yells and cries for a bit and I want both of us jus to get some sleep. Hopefully will remember to post what the doc says - good luck!
    rymom823

Answer by rymom823 at 4:15 AM on Jul. 30, 2011

• Sorry, that should be massage. LOL. Also, if you discovered the solution please let me know. Thank you!
    rymom823

Answer by rymom823 at 4:18 AM on Jul. 30, 2011