• In the Spotlight:

A 4 year old dependant on ELECTRONICS driving me crazy!!!

My son will be 5 in November and if he is playing outside he is great, but when we(adults) decided to have "adult time" on the tv and watch a show he SHOULD show no interest in he sits to watch it, than when we tell him to go play with his toys he throws a fit and acts like his life is just oh so hard!! When he asks to do crafts or paint I am all over it and he will sit and paint a picture of a black blob. The biggest issue is getting him to do ANYTHING by himself for quiet time. He is a big brother of a 2 year old sister and 1 month old brother. Even if it is not quiet time he fights us to go play with his toys or his sister and always asks for his tv shows, movie or computer games. I am seperated and with a new partner and I know for A FACT that at his fathers house he is sat infront of the tv to be kept happy and quiet.
How do you deal when at our house?(50/50 custody week by wee, him and his sister)

DMansMom005

Asked by DMansMom005 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He wants your attention because 50% of the time he isnt getting it (at his dads). He knows you will give it to him. He will eventually outgrow this stage. My kids are 21, 18, 17, 11 and 6. I wish they still WANTED any of my attention lol. The only two who do are the littler ones.

Answer by gemgem at 2:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Well a bit of Tv won't hurt, but how much quiet time do you want him to have? I let my son play his leapster about 30 minutes a day, and watch an episode of Sponge Bob,, but we have a Wii, and only play it as a family,, no other games allowed,, I can't imagine him being able to play alone for about more than 30 minutes,, so you migh be expecting too much,, I would talk to ex about time limits on TV,,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I simply say no.  My son is really into our computer and did great for a while.  After him constantly going to other websites, doing other things, he's been banned from our computer.  We got him one of those Leapster Explorers, he can play that as long as he wants to.  Television, I basically let them watch whatever they want to because 9 times out of 10 it's background noise and they are doing something else.  When I notice that happening, I put on some music.  I have to agree, set some ground rules about what he is going to be allowed to do and what not. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I expect 1 hour max of quiet time and that is when the younger 2 are taking naps, more so his sister (2 yrs old) because the baby can sleep threw anything and sleeps ALOT but his sister needs an hour a day or shes a grump and if she hears him goofing off and playing wildly she will wake up and we are all doomed the rest of the day.
    During quiet time he has options, he has a v-reader, we do crafts, he can play outside, he has a buzz lightlear learning lap top toy and I offer to read books with him or read kiddie magazines. He always resorts to I want computer games or I want tv.
    The way TV works in our house is if all chores get done (making his bed, feeding out dog, helping me put his laundry away, cleaning his toys up in his room) than we all sit for 2 shows od his choice(the 2 year old could care less about tv) before bed and after baths.
    He gets pleanty of attention from my and his step dad.
    DMansMom005

Comment by DMansMom005 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• And the ex is sadly one of those chronic liars who when I attempt to talk about it with him he says "well he is perfect at my house and the tv is nver on" Yet when I make my daily telephone calls when they are at his house I hear my son throwing a fit because dad wants to pause the movie.
    If it was background noise I would be more than ok with it but he sits there and is glues to the point that if you need his attention you have to pause the movie or turn the tv off and wait for the fit to end than talk to him.
    DMansMom005

Comment by DMansMom005 (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Well after reading your post it sounds like your doing it exactly like you should,, I would say he is 4, and I never had the terrible 2's or the 3's but I did have the fearsome 4's,,LOL!! I think he is just testing you! But just because he wants to,, doesn't mean you have to let him, or use a timer, and say when the bell rings the game is over, if you whine about it, no games 2morrow,, and stick to it mamma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2011