How old is "too old?"

DD has always been one of those kids that would strip down to the bare minimum as soon as we would get home. I always read it was okay and normal for toddlers to do this, so I never thought much of it. As long as it was in the privacy of our home, it was okay.

She's now 5 and still does this. Not as much, mind you, but it's nothing for her to only have a shirt on. Still going by the "it's okay and normal" theories, I've still allowed........but when does it simply become weird?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 2:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have a friend who is in her 40's that does that. when she is home it is HER time and she wants to be comfy. I think as long as you don't mind it she is okay.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I make my 3 yo DD wear panties, she often doesn't wear much else, maybe a t-shirt. But for us, panties are a requirement (I just don't want all that rubbing on my furniture- kids really aren't all that great at getting themselves clean down there in between baths). If we have company of any kind, clothes are a must!
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 2:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I dont think theres an age where it isnt alright. I spent most of my time in a Tshirt and underwear when I lived at home. I still do from time to time. My dd is 6 and she comes home and throws on a big tshirt and leggings and calls it a day. In the summer its just a shirt. My boys are the same way. My oldest dd is 21 and still runs around her house in just a Tshirt.

Answer by gemgem at 2:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i didnt start wearing full clothes around the house until i was 10 (boobs grew in lol didnt wanna go shirtless or pants less anymore) i used to walk around the house with either just a shirt on or just undies on, i didnt care i was at home
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 2:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• My boys (4 & 5) will strip down to just their underwear. I wonder how I always have so much laundry.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• It is not weird. It just needs to be corrected. She should have underwear on. In case someone comes to the door or something. She should be taught that her bottom should be covered in public and a top is important for a little girl about 6. Just teach her that there are private parts of our bodies that others should not see.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We require underwear after the child has been potty trained (we do naked potty training). Honestly, I don't need to be seeing my kids privates as they run around the house.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• it's no problem until they go answer the door like that
    and then you will feel like a weird parent when you see the look on the person's face.

Happened to me.
    biblebook4me

Answer by biblebook4me at 4:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i'd be happy she feels free enough to be so open with you :)

i used to be really covered-up and private as a kid. did not even want mom to see or ANYBODY

Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 4:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• FYI...when I say "just a shirt" I mean just that...only a shirt...no panties.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 2:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2011