Children and divorce

I've read a lot about how divorce effects children at different ages. I was suprised to read that adult children tend to take it the worse of all stages. The article I read said they feel like they have lived their life in a lie and if that if home wasn't real than what is? So I guess my question is if your parents got divorced how old were you and how did it effect you?

SueAnd2

Asked by SueAnd2 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Relationships

• I was 16 when my mom filed for divorce, 17 when we moved out and 18 when the divorce was final. It was a tough time, as she stayed in the house for 1yr (while trying to save up money) and it was not a good situation. I never knew what the 'mood' of the house would be, the cold silences, the fights, the threats.... Once we were able to move out life was so much better. Granted mom did not have much money and sis and I had to make do or do without things--- but it was worth it to have a more stable and calm home life.
    Going thru that did make me a bit wary of dating and marriage and gave me an idea of what I did not want (in a potential husband). Thankfully I did find a great guy -- we will celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary this year!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I was 5. I was thrilled. All the fighting stopped and my life was much better.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Hmm... my Mom divorced our Dad when I was four and my sister was two. Thank God. My Dad is not a good man. He's selfish and a liar.

My Mom remarried when I was 13 years old... it was nice at first but once my brother was concieved about a year later, he was abusive. I moved out barley a month over 18 and Mom divorced him. Good riddance.

She is married for the third time, but I wish he was her first. He's so good to my Mom. He really does love her.

I'm 24 now, and I must say despite my terrible relationships with my Dad and bro's Dad, I've had some rough times the first couple of years being a young adult. Trying to adjust and move on in life. It never stopped me though from trying to find the love of my life. If anything, I learned what not to look for in a guy. I just got married last year, and we're having our first child. :) My past does not mean it'll dictate my future.
    soulmeetsbody19

Answer by soulmeetsbody19 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I was a baby. My dad got custody of me on my 1st birthday. I've never had a relationship with my mother, even though she's been practically next door most of my adult life.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I was 1 when my mom left my dad (he was abusive) and 6 when the divorce was final (he remarried). Yes it effected me but I think a divorce has effect on anyone. I think the fact that my dad was abusive effected me more. Apparently when I was little I would tell strangers that my dad hit my mom (at least thats what my mom told me).
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2011