Value Clubs like Sams and Costco

Are they worth it? We are a small family but we buy some higher priced items often like batteries, baby wipes and trail mix. What do you think??

Aqua_Jen

Asked by Aqua_Jen at 2:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Shopping

• For us, they are. We have a Costco card and a Sam's Club card. We buy all of our paper products there. Their electronics are super cheap (I just bought a Clickfree this week from Costco). Costco has much better produce than any of the grocery stores around here. Meat, also. Their steaks come in packs of 5, so that works out perfectly. Sam's has the best lunch meat, and by far the best price on lithium batteries, which my husband goes through like crazy. They also have better prices on gasoline. We have a cash back membership from Costco which always covers the price of the card, but even if it didn't, I would still shop there for their produce.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• They are for large families. We have 5 kids and save money buying in bulk at Costco. I suppose if you bought all your household stuff (like cleaners, toilet paper, paper towels, etc there) it would be a value. We use it for that stuff but also meat and frozen veggies (which don't last long with our family).
    The only thing we were really buying elsewhere was fresh produce because we don't go through the bulk stuff fast enough usually.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We are a small family but I cook something new almost every day and because of that it's still cheaper to buy in bulk...I think getting a Costco card is worth it no matter what if you have children who love to eat lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Im thinking it may be worth it just for the baby wipes and batteries...
    Aqua_Jen

Comment by Aqua_Jen (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I agree with Lucky. I only have 2 kids.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We belong to Costco's and have a business membership with my son to Sam's. No, I do not think it is worth it. We can get gas as cheap or cheaper with Kroger points or at Wawa's. By meat when it is on sale, it is cheaper at the regular grocers or at the butchers even. Produce is very reasonable at Costcos. So I usually get it there or at the local Asian market where it is extremely reasonalbe and they have a better selection and quality. Costco's has Hanna Anderson clothes for little ones at about half the price of online, but their selection is very limited. Photoprinting can be done as cheap at Walgreen's even cheaper. Prescriptions do tend to be cheaper at Sam's. Rotisserie chicken is a wonderful deal at either and they are huge.
    I would not go there but my husband loves them both. We went on vacation and he had to stop and check out Sam's to see what they had.
    My little one things loves the samples.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We don't have Costco around here, but we go to Sam's. It's not worth it for everything - some things are more expensive at Sam's than they are at the grocery stores I regularly shop. I only buy certain things there. My kids are out of diapers & all that baby stuff, so I don't know how they stack up on that. But for allergy meds and a few food things it's worth it for us! (Also helps we have a business membership under my dad, cheaper membership cost!).
    Anonymous

• We have a membership at BJs and I love it! We are a family of 7 and buy all our paper products there - toilet paper, paper towels, diapers, etc. and save a ton just on that. We also buy some food there, but not a whole lot. I cook different stuff and don't want to be having the same old stuff everyday plus we eat a lot of fresh produce from local stands.

Answer by missanc at 3:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• With a small family, I don't think so. Sometimes it's not worth it for me to go there and I have a family of 6 people. I wouldn't waste my money on a membership.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• we buy dog food- muffins when we go there which is about every 2-3 months meat, and a few other random things. I find that most things I can get cheaper at the store, because I buy generic anyway...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2011