• In the Spotlight:

Does your son do this?

My 10 year old is obsessed with him self. He keeps claiming the is hitting the puberty area right. He tries to show me hairs that aint there and he always looks in the mirror. So what do I do with him? Please give advice he is driving me literally insane with it.

momof5kidz

Asked by momof5kidz at 12:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in General Parenting

• My oldest is only 4, but he's pretty obsessed with what he has already. I asked our doctor about it and he just told him welcome to the next 30 years lol. I wouldn't be concerned, I've had several friends who've had little brothers and it sounds like typical male behavior to me. I remember being that age and couldn't wait to get boobs like my big sis, I wasn't so vocal about it though.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 12:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Didn't you ever watch the Brady Bunch? Both Greg and Peter did the same thing LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• LOL - my ds did that when he was that age. For him, a lot of it is because all the girls he was friends with (and my dd, who is 15 mos younger than him), WERE all starting puberty, and since that meant they "were growing up" he wanted to be also.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:08 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• In fact, when my dh came home from Iraq he even tried to convince him that he needed to take him to get a razor so he could shave. When dh asked why, he said "my friends are shaving!" LOL - I have to admit, that statement, combined with the look on my dh's face when he heard it, and added to it that I knew which friends he was talking about (I was friends with their moms, they were girls, starting to shave their legs), and knowing dh DIDN'T know which friends he meant (one was named Alex, short for Alexandria) I burst out laughing. After I explained WHO was shaving WHAT, we talked to ds about it (how no, he didn't need to shave yet...)

We just weathered through it, now our ds is almost 16 and does have body hair / getting facial hair, so that's not the big deal - now it's all about his muscles LOL
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:09 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Oh - I do have to say though, it was pretty funny about a month ago, he was talking to our dd about shaving, etc, and he looked at me and said "you know, it really isn't fair that girls get more underarm hair first. We WANT it, and all they do is shave it off.." LOL
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I would talk to him about what is appropriate and what is not. I went though the same thing with my son and he is just very proud because his body is changing. It is very normal for him to be this way.

If you are uncomfortable with him being this way with you ask him to talk to his father, if that is possible. I would also remind him that he should be touching himself in his own room. I would tell him that there is nothing wrong with touching himself and looking at himself, it is just not something you need to see.

They do get over it at some point.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• grin and bear it....this too shall pass!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:37 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My future step son does the same thing and is also 10 yrs old. I think it is because my 12 yr old son and my other future 11 yrs old step son is going through puberty and he wants to be like them. I just say "yep I know" when he tries to tell me what is going on with his body because he will be the one getting the surprise when it actually happens...lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My son did the looking for hair everywhere every day and when he actually did get pubic hair dropped his pants in the kitchen while I was making dinner to show me! LOL My nephew called me one day all excited because he had to start using deodorant because he stunk! Thats what he said "HEY guess what I stink!" Boys are weird! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Yea there gonna do that probably the rest of there lives...lmbo...my brothers used to do it ALL the time...it was extremely annoying...just nod ur head and grin...thats what my mom did...
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 3:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2008