Are there foods/snacks/drinks you absolutely refuse to give your kids?

MrsHouston47302

Asked by MrsHouston47302 at 2:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Food & Drink

• umm... I don't let him drink Alcohol... I'm not strict about things. I beleive in moderation
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I am proud to say that my son is in the no cavity club at the dentist. His name is printed in our paper every month. I do allow him to drink sweets and i do allow him to eat sugary foods but i limit it! The only thing that is an absolute nono anywhere he goes is the chewy sticky stuff, and my son has been coached to turn this stuff down. ..even bubble gum. he can only have non-stick kind, and still that is an every now and then type thing
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Yes. Soda, processed foods, anything made with soybean oil, canola oil, or hydrogenated anything, foods w/artificial colorings, flavorings, and preservatives.
    Anonymous

• hmm The kids are allowed to have sweets and such outside of the home at grams or friends or whatever, we do not buy any prepackaged cookies debbie snacks ect and make it all from scratch, we don't often have anything but water,milk and tea to drink though sometimes we do buy organic fruit and veg mixed juice. I am strict in the home but give them a little leeway out and about.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• fruit snacks, gummy stuff, fruit by the foot type stuff.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We don't have a lot of junk in our house.. mostly because we don't like it. Our little guy drinks orange/apple juice and milk, but mostly water. He's going through a stage right now of ALWAYS wanting a snack, so I've got lots of little things around for him to pick at.. grapes, cubed up cheese, crackers.. unsweetened apple sauce etc.

He eats his fair share of candy and junk with his grandparents.

The biggest thing I am against is food from a box. Frozen meals, pre-made crap. Not just for him though, for the whole house. If we have pizza we make it from scratch.. and it doesn't take long really. We eat a ton of fresh, local produce.. but I'm with the other ladies who say moderation.. it's key.
    katie.merks

Answer by katie.merks at 3:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• It isn't often that I buy pop. I refuse to buy Crisco because it affects the body worse than vegetable oil, or olive oil. I never buy any food or drink with Splenda or aspartame in it.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I don't completely refuse anything - but I very strongly limit anything with artificial sweeteners, any dyes but mainly red #40, anything caffeinated, pop/kool-aid, store-bought baked goods (little debbies, things of that sort).
    Anonymous

• Okay terrible mother here,, LOL! I grew up in a house where we were restrcited on sweets completely,, I went crazy when I moved out, , and have battled with being 20lbs overweight forever,, I let him have almost anything in moderation, and only after eating healthy food, I don't want him to grow up with a sense of I have never had it ,, so now I am gonna have it all,, I don't buy kool-aid,, but I will let him have 1/2 a caffiene free diet soda now and again,, and yes I will give him chocolate milk,, I had a HUGE debate with a lady last night over this,, but will answer anyway,,,LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:13 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Dairy
    sendcheer

Answer by sendcheer at 3:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2011