This sounds silly at 1st but I am serious. Training wheels off. NOW WHAT?

Okay so we made the choice to take sons training wheels off and literally throw them away so no one could get lazy or give up/give in and put them back on. It was an amazing success and within 20 minutes the block was boring him so I let him go around it 1x. Now 3 days later I have no clue when is age appropriate. He's in kindergarten and is 6 (will be 6 1/2 two weeks from today) I've never thought this far into the future before. He was a baby on a push toy, then a toddler on a trike, then a little boy on training wheels. He wears a helmet always of course but since he's a full fledged biker now making him go up/down our same boring block but he shouldn't have full run of the neighborhood yet ... should he?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Take the bike and you to a playground,, DS is always wanting to go farther than our street, and about a month ago a litlle girl was kidnapped off of her bike about 2 blocks from her house,, the found her thank GOD< but I showed DS the news clip, and said this is why mommy doesn't want you out of her sight,, so now about twice a week we go to a giant playground park, and let him ride to his hearts content, next month I am buying a bike to ride with him,, be good for my fat behind, and we can explore anywhere we want together,, as long as I still can ride one,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i totally agree with zoejains_momma
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 2:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• no way, go on walks with him and let him ride but make sure he stays where you can see him
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I find it very crappy that we can't even let our kids get out and explore.  I agree, looking at the same block is boring.  I can imagine the excitement at wanting to get out and explore.  But period point blank, safety.  No, my son won't be allowed to go by himself.  Sadly.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• There are too many pedaphiles for my comfort. I remember the days when my sister, my friends and I were able to ride our bikes on the street. We lived in the country and our parents could watch us as we rode. The street was about a mile long and not very many houses in neighborhood to block the view of us from our parents.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Nope can't go off my himself, too young. IMHO.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2011