Anxiety?

I've never had issues with anxiety really in the past - so if this is what's happening with me, its new to me!

In the last 15 months I've lost 60 pounds. About a month ago I started noticing just how pronounced my heartbeat can be at times. Two weeks ago my mind got the best of me, and I just became consumed with worry. My heart just felt like it was pounding in my chest, but my resting pulse was only 54 bpm. My hubby took my concerns seriously and took me into the ER. I was treated promptly, and I believe wonderfully. Immediately my blood was drawn, I was hooked up to monitors, had an ekg, and a chest x-ray. Everything checked out fine. The doctor concluded that this is my new norm. That my heart is so strong because I've conditioned it to be such, I feel it more pronounced because I'm now smaller. The lower resting pulse rate is fine - probably my new normal. He told me that my heart was strong and healthy, and that according to their tests, I'm "perfect".

All of that said - here are my questions:

1) Anyone else experience such things? If so, what exactly were your experiences, and was your diagnosis similar?

2) Could anxiety become an issue for me, as I feel my heart pounding in my chest, could anxiety bring me to noticing other twinges and such? For example, sometimes I get these odd pains - some are brief, some linger - but they grab my attention and cause me to feel concern.

I have every intention to get a second opinion - we've recently moved though, so that means finding a new doctor (and we were out of town for a period of time since I was in the ER, leaving me with no time to do that!)

Thanks in advance!

Jessica79

Asked by Jessica79 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Health

• after I had my son I got anxiety really ad, to this day I suffer from panic attacks. You just need to breath in through your nose and out through your mouth slowly and tell yourself you are going to be ok. Anxiety is scary, it can feel like your having a heart attack or something but you just need tomlearn to control it. It is hard but you can do it. I personally can't do medication but maybe it could be an option for you. GL and if you need to talk more message me!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• *bad
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Honey life comes with enough problems. You don't need to look for them.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 3:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Anxiety is horrible. No one can relate until they suffer a full blown panic attack. Mine started at age 18. My Mom had the same problem. It can be from unresolved things that happened in your child hood & stressful changes. This is my experience. I take a couple of meds to help me control my issue. When I had my last baby I was having heart palps & I checked out fine also & it was because I was so worried, stressed, & high anxiety. It messes with your head bad...talk yourself out of it....breathe, deep breaths, & try to remain calm if you feel a little off. If it gets bad, which it can once it starts, maybe talk to your Dr. so they can prescribe something for you to take when you have attack. GL.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I was diagnosed with severe anxiety just before I got pregnant with my second child, but I didn't start getting treatment until late last year. I've always been anxious and overly worrisome.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 5:54 PM on Apr. 16, 2011