Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think my son ate a penny.

He is just over a year old. I think he might have swallowed a penny, but I'm not 100% sure. He spit one out but it looked like he swallowed, too. How long should I wait to take him in? When do you think it will show up in his diaper if he poops it out?

 
Vix920

Asked by Vix920 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 18 (5,899 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Why take him in? They WONT do anything about it and just charge you $$ for the ER or Dr. His body will pass it in a day or 2. If he shows signs of pain or distress of a bowel obstruction then take him in.
    vbruno

    Answer by vbruno at 3:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

  • As long as he is breathing ok, I wouldn't worry right now. Keep an eye on him to make sure that he is having bowl movements. You don't want him to have a blocked intestine or anything. Right now, all you can do is wait.
    dustbunny

    Answer by dustbunny at 3:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

  • he will be ok.... it will probably be 24 hours until he poops it out if he did swallow one. kids do that all the time! So relax, he will be ok!
    June_Mama09

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

  • I agree with vbruno
    June_Mama09

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

  • I agree with vbruno too .... taking him to the Dr will just waste your money and time...and all they are going to do is tell you to wait for it to pass
    Lucky209

    Answer by Lucky209 at 3:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

  • i agree with June_Mama09 and vbruno
    mamawilbur

    Answer by mamawilbur at 3:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

  • Just to be sure feed him another penny and shake him. If you hear a jingle than he did eat it. LMAO!
    But seriously, administer 1ml of castor oil and stand by for deposit
    Ms.Gwen

    Answer by Ms.Gwen at 3:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

  • Keep an eye out for discomfort when he is trying to go poo. Feed him foods that will help soften his stool.("sweet ones" prunes can be cut into small bits and he'll eat them like a piece of candy) Don't worry, this certainly has happened to other parents! My daughter ate a large peice of yarn when she was your son's age,(grant it yarn in soft and fexible) it came out 2 days later!
    KristyAb

    Answer by KristyAb at 3:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

  • watch him closely...
    smiley745

    Answer by smiley745 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

  • i would just let it pass on its own and not worry unless he shows sign of discomfort you even said you dont even no if he did or not
    flipper4u21

    Answer by flipper4u21 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN