Is anyone else having a hard time teaching their 4 yr old to write their letters?

I don't know if I'm trying to teach her wrong, or if she just plain doesnt want to do it but either way my patience is growing thin....I write out her name for her...tell her to trace that a few times and then write her name on the bottom of where she traced it....she does great tracing but then she just spazz's out! I've shown her a hundred billion different ways...I don't know what I'm doing wrong...KELLEY...they are like the most simple letters in the alphabet! lol....

Please if anyone has advice or suggestions that would be great

Also...she is not in preschool because I can't afford to send her..there are no free preschool type programs in the area that I live in

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 3:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 4 y.o seems a bit young to make them learn to write, but thats just me. Maybe the word COPY would be better to get her to write her name??
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I will tell you to try handwriting without tyears the begginers set, if you can find it used on a homeschoolers resale site it would be cheaper. This finally is what we went with after strugglijng so much:)
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• http://www.walmart.com/ip/LeapFrog-Toy-Scribble-Write/10998389    Here is the link for it.  20.00 bucks. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• LeapFrog Scribble and Write.  :)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Have you noticed yet that I'm obsessed with LeapFrog?  :)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• When I taught PreK we mainly focused on being familiar with the letters and recognizing them, not necessarily writing them correctly. If we wrote them we always used fat crayons and markers, their fine motors are not really there yet to squeeze skinny pencils. We would spell their names with playdough, in whip cream, paint them, etc. The way the kids seemed to enjoy the most was tracing their names with water color paints. After doing it that way for awhle, it just comes and they have the confidence to write it with regular writing utensils.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 3:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I don't think 4 is too young to learn Kindergarten is around the corner and from what I was told they should know how to spell their name & hold the pencil properly and also spell their name properly like using the capital letter 1st then the small ones after it when going into Kindergaten. My girl is 4 and she has been doing her letters for the past 4 or 5 months & I started her off with the place mats you can get which you can write on & then erase so she traces the letters on there & then she also has an etchasketch where she practices her letters, numbers & her Picasso pictures she draws haha.... I would recommend that as well but get her tracing for a while & she will get it, my girl can spell many words now too I felt the same in the beginning & the she just got it....keep trying with her & GL.
    : )
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i agree with MrsHouston47302 and vbruno
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 3:25 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I think you are pushing her too hard and expecting too much from her. She'll learn at HER pace not yours. Relax, your frustration is only making the situation worse.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:27 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I quit worrying about it after I realized that 2 of my DS's weren't ready. They learned quickly enough in kindergarten. My youngest is 4 & recognizes many of the ABC's. He loves to play the ABC road game. We play this game whenever we drive anywhere. Example: I see an "A" in apple on that billboard. There is a "B" on the license plate of that blue car in front of us. J & Q are the most difficult letter to find on a billboard, license plates, on the front of stores, or on buildings.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2011