PLEASE HELP! My 7 month old daughter will no longer fall asleep on her own...any advice?

It use to be so easy to get my daughter to go to sleep at night and now its a nightmare!!!! Before all i had to do was swaddle her, give her a pacifer and she was out..about a week and a half ago it has turned into the worst part of my day!! She screams and if I just let her cry she makes herself sick..if I hold her or lay with her as soon as i leave she wakes up crying!!! To make things worse this is causing problems between her dad and I...its really starting to take an emotional toll on me and he doesnt understand why..he says " just let her cry!!!" I really dont know what to do I have tried EVERYTHING...baths...stories...singing...driving with her in the car til she fall asleep...letting her cry NOTHING is working..please any little tip would be so grateful!!!

Kiera23

Asked by Kiera23 at 1:08 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is probably teething and that just makes it difficult for everybody. This is what I do:
    Make it very obvious that it is bed time by turning the lights down. Tell her it's time to go night night soon about 10 minutes before you actually start the routine. Then religiously do the same thing every night. Bath, jammies, books, bed.
    I like to tell my daughter what to expect ahead of time. I know at that age she may not understand but if you do it every night...she'll learn very easily.
    When my daughter was teething, I would let her fall asleep in my arms and WAIT until she is good and asleep. Then put her in her crib. We have a fan in my daughters room which really helps her sleep with the white noise in the background.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• There's an article on drjaygordon.com on sleep that may help. If she's teething, all bets are off.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I have tons of ideas...too much to write here. PM me if you would like more advice.
    Most importantly, this too shall pass. When it get's tough, it only lasts a week or two and then it's over. Take a deep breath and sleep when she sleeps.
    KaceesMom

• One of the most important things is that your kid has to be on a schedule. She needs to have naps and you need to make sure that you are not letting her get too tired. There are a lot harder to get to sleep when they are too tired and I have herd that it is bad for them.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 1:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• At first I would rock her till she got tired and when she was about to fall asleep I would lay her down and pat her back till she went to sleep then I would just lay my hand on her back for like 3 min. I then took my hand off her back and I would stay in the room for a min or 2.after you get out of the room you are most likely safe. I did that for like a week. I then stopped rocking her and still did everything else I took on e thing away a week till I was just putting her down and she would go to sleep Also I learned with my little girl that she likes to hold something big to go to sleep with it makes her fill like there is someone there.. It is also a good thing if they are in there own room. I found that mine slept better. Good luck you just have to stick with it
    kristyleigh614