Cheapest place to buy plane tickets? And is it cheaper to buy your ticket months in advance or closer to the date or does it matter?

davila26

Asked by davila26 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Travel

• If you know the date, it might be cheaper to buy months in advance or the prior to when you need to fly. You lock in your price when you buy ahead of time. They can't charge you more if you buy in advance and the gas prices go up causing the ticket prices to go up.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• It totally depends. Sometimes you can get a great seat sale ahead of time and sometimes, you win when they want to sell tickets to a flight that hasn't sold. I don't know if there's a guaranteed better way. I think a lot depends on whether the security of knowing you have the ticket is more important than waiting.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 3:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• If you honestly don't care about the time you get there or how many times you have to change planes (usually once in my experience) and if you don't need to sit together,, try price line.com,, I got tickets to Cancun for both my husband and I for $300 last year, about $500 less than booking it, when you make a bid it is Unchangeable, so be aware that if your going with your kiddos,, not the way to go,, I usually try southwest website first, then hotwire, if I am traveling with the kiddo!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Yip...dustbunny is right...since gas is almost 4 bucks a gallon now...you won't really find cheap airline tickets.
    Best thing to do is buy them in advance.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 3:40 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• When I buy my tickets I usually buy them in advance. I found that they were cheaper.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 3:43 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We always check Southwest first to see if they are running specials. And the earlier the better.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• My limited experience has showed me that the earlier you book your tickets the cheaper they are. When my husband and I wanted to go to Las Vegas last year, the closer it got to when we wanted to fly, the more the tickets went up. Don't forget about the new baggage charge. Try to pack as light as possible and carry on a bag or two if possible.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I travel from Wy to TX atleast 4 times a year. I use Oribitz.com I've compared a lot of sites and they are always equal or below the other sites. Also Wednesdays are the best days to purchase the tickets. The time frame of purchase varies. I check prices often and buy when I get a ticket that is close to what I have found in the past.
    FYI: If you have to fly b/c of an emergency ie a death or serious medical situation, a travel agency can be a great help. Ours was able to get me a greatly reduced rate whn my mom had cardia bipass surgery. Saved me about 400.00!
    I try to never check a bag. I fly Continental and United. They will gate check bags that are just a bit bigger than the regular carry on for free.
    shewholoves

Answer by shewholoves at 6:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I think I would buy the ticket(s) now since gas prices keep going up that usually affects plane fares as well. 

I've used CheapOAir.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• in advance cheaper
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 17, 2011