Whats a good time to start spoon feeding?

Lacey.Lace

Asked by Lacey.Lace at 12:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My Babys Pediatrician said 4 Months of age for Rice Cereal only. Usually the Babys Pediatrician tells you when and what to feed the baby at Each check up. Age 4 months - 6 months - 9 months and then at 12 Months the baby can have what you eat. As your babys doctor, he will have a list for you.
    Anonymous

• I started around 6 months, I would say it depends on how well your baby 'eats'. It's slow at first because they tend to just push it all back out. My WIC dietician gave me great guidelines.
    treefroggyk

Answer by treefroggyk at 12:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I started my oldest on cereal at 2 weeks on the dr's advice. She was a large baby and formula wasn't enough for her and I couldn't breastfeed. Most babies it is around 3-4 months though. I always fed mine off the table anything that could be mushed up from about 3 months and they are all healthy and have no food allergies and arent' picky eaters.
    melnstephen

Answer by melnstephen at 12:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• When they can push themselves up on their hand's while laying on their tummy, do you know what i mean? Start them on ceral.

ShenaBaker

Answer by ShenaBaker at 12:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• If they can hold their head up and seem intersted in food it's probably a good time. My daughter is facinated by watching others eat so she loved it when we started feeding her cereal at 4 months.
    haberdasher

Answer by haberdasher at 1:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I guess it depends on your baby. Celine was spoon fed at 3 months, I tried at 2 months but it went everywhere except her mouth :) Oh, and I gave her everything but the green stuff. As soon as she got anything green in her mouth she would spit it out and that would be the end of spoon feedings for the day!
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I started at 3 months. I was told to try one thing at a time for a week to make sure that they arent allergic to it!
    edwinsmom2008

Answer by edwinsmom2008 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• 8 9 months
    libramomma24

Answer by libramomma24 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• i started spoon feeding my son at 4 months when i started him on rice cereal and i use the gerber soft tip spoons because they are soft on his gums
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I have three little ones, and I started feeding all three of them cereal with a spoon when they were four months old. With each of them it worked very very very well. At five months is when I started to introduce green veggies. After introducing a veggie I would feed that veggie to the baby everyday for 3 days to make sure there were no allergies. If everything was great, wed move onto another, until we had all the veggies and fruits introduced (make sure to introduce veggies before fruit so your baby doesnt develop a sweet tooth). Be watchful when you introduce cereal, while some children are ready early as 3 months for cereal, others are not. Their digestive system is very fragile at first they might not be ready. A good sign to watch is their poop. If it gets black it means that the child is not digesting the food properly. Hopefully this is helpful.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 12:20 PM on Jul. 11, 2008