Can you have pain medicene with waterbirth or is it all natural?

cantwait071909

Asked by cantwait071909 at 1:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I don't think you can have an epi because it is a needle in your back and because you need to be on continuous monitoring when you have an epi incase baby's heart rate drops (which is a common side effect of the epi). I have seen women get narcotic relief in the tub to "take the edge off so they can get some rest" but more often then not the narcs make the pain worse because you are not lucid enough to mentally prepare yourself for the oncoming contraction.

The water birth is commonly called the "midwifes epidural" because it provides counter presure which does act as pain relief. that is the point of the water birth.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I was always under the impression that it had to be all natural... i could be wrong though!? I know its something i would defiantly consider, but i NEED my epidural. LMAO.
    Klynn-whitlow

Answer by Klynn-whitlow at 1:31 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• its all natural.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:33 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• i dont know.im thinking no you cant have medicine.im sorry.
    mckowntasha

Answer by mckowntasha at 1:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• depends on where ur delivering. if ur at a hospital that has a tub for u, they probably can go with epidural, but if ur at a home birth obviously not. usually water birthing is associated with natural childbirth, but if u go to a really nice hospital they could accommodate both
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:43 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I'm sure they'd let you have a few Tylenols!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:53 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• A hospital can probably give you something, but probably not anything too strong. You might get stuck in the tub if you have something that makes you too numb.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• From everything that I understand from water birth, I wanted to do it with my first pregnancy so I did all of the research and from what I found out they are all natural.

I never had that water birth I was induced at the hospital 11 days late and waited until I was 8cm dilated and couldn't handle anymore and I got my epi which I LOVED
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 2:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2008