What is a good way to encourage a 7 year old to practice better hand writing ?

biblebook4me

Asked by biblebook4me at 3:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• try giving him/her prizes and lots of praises each time they get it right. Kids love that. I'm not a mother but I have worked at a private daycare and school with children before. And I know this works when they see you getting really happy after they do something they'll do it again because your giving them positive attention and they thrive for that. Be blessed Jesus loves you, and I do too.
    jenkinswife2011

Answer by jenkinswife2011 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• My daighter likes the
    ______________________
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    ______________________
    paper (only more centered lol) and her teacher uses phrases like "meet at the fence" which is the dotted line. Then its more of a game then a chore. GL
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 4:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• We had his teacher send him home the letter book "Handwriting without tears", the same one being used in school. Each day for 15 - 20 minutes after school as homework we have him sit down and practice. He's still struggling but we do what we can. We do not get frustrated with him we only encourage him at ever step.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Abusybee is right, that paper really helps. I don't have a child to that age but I remember being around that age and that paper teaches you lower case and upper case. Just sit down and practice with your child. Have them trace over your writing if they need to. There are also books at teaching stores that let you trace the letters. Also give him/her a sticker or small toy (like from the dollar store) or some praise when they get it right. GL!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• You might try cursive, I know many schools aren't teaching it anymore but my daughter had horrible writing (we homeschool) and I just hung up the cursive letter chart from the dollar store and she thought it was so neat....she basically taught herself using the chart to copy when doing her writing assignments and her handwriting is amazing in cursive now. In print its still a bit messy but if I notice her getting messy with it I will usually have her erase and start over and tell her to write in a way I can read it.
    leejoy

Answer by leejoy at 4:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• There is paper with very slightly raised lines that help "cue" when they're on the mark!
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 8:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Have them write and mail letters to Grandparents and other family members- tell child to write their best so Grandma or whoever can read it and be able to write back.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 11:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• All of this is good advice and I have used it all. Practice is the only thing works. I would add, model good writing skills yourself. I have also found that assigning simple sentences as a punishment or incentive for privileges not only offers practice writing but encourages certain good behaviors. Most seven y/o kids tend to go through handwriting issues but if it's really bad work with his teacher to rule out causes. Just a practice or work ethic issue can be easily solved by just spending time each day doing it. My son is dyslexic and dysgraphic. He both sees and writes letters backwards. Not being able to do it right is his block, he doesn't want to try at all when he knows he will make mistakes. He always gets credit and praise as long he makes good attempts. Frankly it may never be perfect or even good but the important part is that he tries.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:14 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Practice is great, maybe starting a journal of their day, or dream journal. These are fun to read when they get older!!!!
    cutiepiesmama

Answer by cutiepiesmama at 11:08 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Have them write a story to share with the family. Tell them to include a list of certain fun words. Or try ad-lib type things where he/she fills in the blank. As long as it's fun, they'll do it! :) GL!
    CrissyMarie2003

Answer by CrissyMarie2003 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 17, 2011