Delivering a baby who is breech

Just a little curious, how many of you have delivered a baby breech, and was it a lot more difficult and was your doctor reluctant to do it? Right now, I'm only 5 1/2 months along, but the baby is breech and i know it will probably turn before it's time to pop out, but i keep saying, if it doesn't turn, i still want to try to deliver naturally. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but i delivered my daughter with no problem. She was 8lbs. 3oz. and 21 inches long and i only pushed 4 times within 20 minutes and she was out. The delivery was the easiest part of the pregnancy for me. Am i being crazy and unrealistic for wanting to deliver breech if it comes to that?

FinleyFirst

Asked by FinleyFirst at 1:32 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• There are different types of breech positions. Most positions are too dangerous for the baby to deliver. Many doctors do not feel comfortable delivery a breech baby of any position vaginally.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• only way I have ever heard on delivering a breech baby is by c-section, if mom's know of anything else please educate me on this subject
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 1:41 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• babies dont actually turn head down until around 34 weeks, u still have so much time. my doctor never even tried to look for the position until 37 weeks because its not necessary. if u r worrying about it, i say go with a c section because u might labor for hours and end up with a csection anyway. its too risky to try to deliver a baby that is not head down. but u should wait until ur like literally 40 weeks to worry about it!!
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:42 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• sorry i cant help you.
    mckowntasha

Answer by mckowntasha at 1:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• No! That is not unreasonable at all.

Breech births are a normal variation, it happens all over the world. In most places, care providers are trained to attend vaginal breech births. In the US, usually only midwives or older (more experienced) doctors attend them.

Finding a care provider who is willing to attend one is a great idea. The chance of your baby staying breech isn't likely, but possible.

I know of plenty of planned vaginal breech deliveries-- usually are homebirths (for greatest chance of success). My baby flipped multiple times before staying head-down at term, it wasn't an issue for me, personally.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:50 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• well i'm not to worried about it, but i do want a plan of action just incase. My mom had me breech and my half sisters mom had her breech. I was feet first and my sister was butt first. And with my daughter, she was head down for 5 1/2 months on and i delivered her at 37 1/2 weeks, so i'm not gonna wait til 40 weeks to start worrying. I'm not worried but would like to plan for whatever may happen. And it just so happens that the doctor who delivered me still works in the doctors office i go to. There are 5 doctors and 1 midwife, and that doctor has been practicing for 30 or 40 years. But i was just curious if anyone has had a breech delivery, and if there were issues.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 1:57 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• It's not about what you can or can't do easily, it's about the heightened risks of trying to push on out the wrong way. All it takes for things to get rough is for one little elbow or leg to be in the wrong place. In the past, women and their babies died from complications from this (I'm not saying it ALWAYS happened, I'm just saying that deaths were caused by this!), but now they're able to prevent that by doing a c-section instead.

I wanted to avoid a c-section at all costs as well, and would be tempted to resist it because of a breech baby...my Mom had twins, and the first once came out breech, with no problems. I think it's a better safe than sorry thing, though.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:04 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• When I had my twins, the first one was head done and the second was in a transverse position. So they basically looked like a T formation. While I was giving birth to the first one, another doctor tried to turn the second around so that the head was down, That was not the case, he ended up being feet first. I did nott have a c-section and this was a vaginal birth. The second baby was pulled out feet first!

You still have plenty of time. Your baby has not even had the time to turn yet. I would not be too concerned.
    hugorose

Answer by hugorose at 2:17 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• You can deliver a breech baby vaginally just fine. Most doctors won't due to liability crap but they did them in the past. I wouldn't let them bully to into a c-section. If baby is transverse then you won't have a choice, with that type of breech the baby can only come out via c-section.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Pulling on a baby is dangerous.
    It's great to have a vaginal breech, but make sure that the care provider is experienced!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2008