Why do some musical artists feel the need to be sacrilegious and attack religion (Catholicism in particular)?

You can't say Lady Gaga isn't provocative.

"Judas," the latest single from Grammy-winner and fashion icon has leaked onto the internet early, adding to the already heated debate about the song, and accompanying video's, alleged sacrilege.

The song and video are told from Mary Magdelene's perspective, with lyrics such as, "When he comes to me, I am ready/ I'll wash his feet with my hair if he needs/ Forgive him when his tongue lies through his brain/ Even after three times, he betrays me/ I'll bring him down, a king with no crown..."

The suggestive lyrics have angered some, including The Catholic League, though, it should be noted, the organization hadn't heard the song or seen the preview clip of the video before issuing a complaint.

"This is a stunt... Lady Gaga tries to continue to shock Catholics and Christians in general: she dresses as a nun... she swallows the rosary. She has now morphed into a caricature of herself," Catholic League President Bill Donohue said in a statement.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/16/lady-gaga-judas-listen_n_850015.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• the organization hadn't heard the song or seen the preview clip of the video before issuing a complaint.

Interesting little tidbit there. Why do people insist on being offended?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Curious, are these still considered "offensive"?

Like a Prayer (once again proving, anything Gaga does, Madonna did it first)

Dear God

One of Us

That's Alright Mama

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Attention....the more attention they can attract pos or neg the more albums they sell
    leejoy

Answer by leejoy at 4:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• *sings in her pathetic off key voice* "What if god was one of us? Just a slob like one of us, just a stranger on a bus trying to make his way home..." People CHOOSE to be offended. I remember when the previous stated lyric was the focus of a major uproar... it never fails.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:24 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• She's got the freedom of speech, and I think the 'shock factor' is one thing that a lot of artists do today for attention. Negative or positive, if someone's talking about her she's getting getting free publicity.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• They are breaking free from the oppression of their religious upbringing.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I don't think they feel a "need" to do anything. But they are artists....they will take whichever they can to bring them the most attention.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Wasn't Lady Gaga raised Catholic? That would be why she would "attack" Catholicism; it's her experience, her frame of reference. And many artists/writers/musicians cover religion, because it's a major subject in people's experience.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Being offended is a choice people get to make.

Lady Gaga did this cuz she felt like it either to express her feelings on a subject or to gain attention or both but that doesnt mean people have to listen to it or be offended by it.

Its called choices...dont listen and you wont have to worry.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I don't think that Mary Magdelene and Judas are only "Catholic" icons.
    MamaMia9999

Answer by MamaMia9999 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2011