Concern?

A bit of a spin off of a few of the questions today -

The heart of Christianity is that you believe Jesus is your savior. Period. End of story. Every faction and division has it's own little auxiliary rules and hoops to jump through, but in the end, that's what it comes down to. 2 entities, 3 possibilities: you believe he exists and that he's a savior, you believe he existed but was just a man, or you don't believe he existed at all. Never are there more than 2 entities in that equation - Jesus and the person deciding if they believe or not.

So why is there so much concern over what other people are doing? There are scriptures saying to "spread the word". As we've established here repeatedly, on CM at least, you aren't going to find a single person who hasn't already heard about the idea, and most of us, no matter what religion we do or don't practice these days, started out as some variety of Christian. That's true of most Americans, and safe to say, most people in the Western Hemisphere. Even those raised Jewish or Muslim still learn some or all of the bible and are aware of the concepts even if they don't believe the same way, and those raised atheist or agnostic, or another religion, are still steeped in Christian culture, because it's integral to education - you cannot learn history, music, art, literature, or even science, without also learning the historical impact of the church setting policies and laws that directly impacted each of those areas.

So with all that in mind, why are there still SO MANY people who get bent out of shape over other people examining that 2 entity relationship and not making the same choice they did? For that matter, why are there still so many people who can't even comprehend that there are other people who aren't Christians in some form, and that everyone doesn't fall into practicing or lapsed, but that there are millions and millions of people who practice other religions entirely (or none at all) and are perfectly happy about it?

At what point does "accept Jesus" and "spread the word" transform into "put yourself in the middle of everyone else's relationship with Jesus" and "force the word whether they want it or not, even after they've already heard it"? Is it truly fear for someone else, or is it fear that the believer might be wrong? Insecurity or concern? What exactly is the thought process that takes someone from "I must work on my relationship with Jesus" to "I must work on someone else's relationship with Jesus"?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wow. That's really tough to answer. I could take a guess at it, but I'm sure it wouldn't be accurate. I personally feel that everyone should just try and get along no matter what religion you are. Faith is a very personal thing and there are MANY way to interpret what you read from scripture. There are religious leaders out there who are urging thier followers to save thier neighbors, friend, and family. I actually had my youth pastor tell our youth group that it was our fault that some of the kids in our school went to hell when they died. I personally place the blame on people like that. Our religious leaders are supposed to be an example for us. They were called to "lead the flock" and many times they do and say the things that will get them the most money because they are human...
    admiring_u_14

Answer by admiring_u_14 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I find this to be a interesting/good question, and I'm looking forward to reading the answers.

As someone who was born/raised Hindu in America, I can honestly say that: Yes I have heard the "message" I have heard it repeatedly. Like is stated in the OP, you can't really grow up in the U.S.  and NOT hear it. It's very pervasive influence on the culture.Like it would be like for a Christian growing up in India, that person would know quite a bit about Hindus/Hinduism simply by growing up in that culture. I have heard the message, all my life.. I have been told all my life here or there/by one person or another, how I need to convert, accept Christ, start believing in hell/sin....and so on ad nauseam. The reality is this, If I were interested.. If Christianity touched me and was the right path for me as a human being..  I would have already done so. 

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Not to be disrespectful, but what you wrote .... waaaaay too long. (Didn't even bother to read it honestly.)

Then stick to the kiddie pool and let the grown ups talk, k?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Oh yeah, you just reminded me what the anon button is for. Shame a person can't throw in new ideas without getting a cheeky answer. My intentions were by all means friendly and WAS looking forward to your response. Well, there I have it.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Shame a person can't throw in new ideas without getting a cheeky answer.

What "new idea" did you throw in? You whined about it being too long to read, admitted you didn't even bother to read it, and then requested it be dumbed down for you. But, congrats on derailing it from the start. I suppose I can close it and repost it with a disclaimer for those with short attention spans.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Not to be disrespectful, but what you wrote .... waaaaay too long. (Didn't even bother to read it honestly.) What's the question? What is it you what to know? Boil it down to the essence and make life simple. I always find that people talk too much, especially when it concerns faith. I refuse to give it a name. It just IS. It's in what you do, not what you call it, or say about it. So here's my dare: Can you put the most important thing you wanted to get to know into just ONE question/ sentence? (Curious to check on it later on. Hope to hear from you!)

BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 4:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2011