My 6 week old is not wanting to eat today!

I got a very pleasant surprise when I woke up this morning to find that he had slept through the night! I was grateful for the sleep but now I am concerned. After waking up he took almost 3oz, but sipped it very slow as if he could take it or leave it. It is now 3:15 in the afternoon and he has yet to eat anything else! I offer it to him and he just rolls the nipple around in his mouth without sucking at all. This isn't like him at all. He seems so exhausted and has been sleeping off and on all day. About 30 minutes ago he woke up from a short nap in his swing crying and sucking on his fingers, but once again he just played with the nipple and fell back asleep! I know I cannot force feed an infant but I am worried that he has barely had 3oz all day long! I figured he would have a heck of an appetite after sleeping through the night for the first time. Any ideas?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How many pee/poo diapers has he had? Are you sure he's able to suck thru the nipple? If that's the issue you may have to open the hole more..with the more sleeping he could be getting sick. If thetes no change by morning, call the dr
    ShamrocksNroll

Answer by ShamrocksNroll at 4:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Most doctors have someone on call all weekend. You might give the office a call and ask about it because it is so out of the ordinary.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Short of any other symptoms right now, try not to stress. Do check the nipple to make sure it's not clogged or closed from sterilizing. As long as baby is needing the diaper changed due to pee or poop and has no fever or cough Id say baby is alright. If this continues then call the Dr or any ER and talk to the nurse on duty who's happy to answer your questions.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• well i would say its not the nipple or hed be screaming and wanting food and no sick symptoms then he just might not be hungry but that long id call the doc
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2011