Is it legal for a doctors office to run tests without your consent?

I was 15 when I told my mom I had been molested and I thought I had an STD.
she took me to the doctor. i cant remember if the doctor asked my mom to leave the room or if she asked if i wanted her to leave the room but anyway my mom had to go to the waiting room and the doctor asked me if i had had intercourse/been raped. i told her yes and i thought i might have herpes and i wanted to be tested for that.
she did a pap smear andleft the room and came back and said she ran for everything and i didnt have any STDs

they knew we didnt have insurance.

the bill came to like $500. my parents refused to pay it because they thought it was messed up that the doctors office ran these tests without even mentioning it to us, let alone asking if it was okay or anything. they didnt even suggest to me well if you've had contact with someone you might want to be tested for everything....

no they just ran them.
so about three years later they started billing ME for services i received when i was 15!!!!
i know that isn't legal. my bestfriends mom is a medical billing coder and she told me that, that isn't legal.

what should i do? should i contact a lawyer?
any experience with this?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 4:37 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Health

• BUMP
    Katelyn88

Answer by Katelyn88 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Well, the fact that you were molested/raped the doctors office is required to run those tests... Did you go to the e.r after it happened? Did they ever catch the person? If they did, I'd make them pay for it.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Mom had to fill out paperwork to get you seen and in that paperwork Im better was the consent for treatment form she had to sign to get you seen. In that form is the promise you will pay the bill. It was legal for them to run the tests in my opinion.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• And had you had syphilis or chlamydia, but not herpes, would you have sued your doctor for not running the entire battery of tests because years later you found out you were sterile or worse?

I think it's standard practice when consent is given for treatment, and particularly for STD screen, that they run the entire set rather than for just the one. After all, you weren't the doctor-- the symptoms you had could have been something other than herpes. Your doctor was taking appropriate precautions to protect you.

As for who is responsible for the bill--- if you were raped, there are programs in place to assist the victim of crimes to pay for medical costs associated with crime. If you simply had intercourse with someone, no rape involved, then your parents should have paid the bill when they took you to the doctor. Since they didn't, and you were the beneficiary of those services, you should.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I'm not sure.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 5:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Pass the bill along to your abuser(s).
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I think your mom is responsible for the bill, she signed financial responsibility papers. Call legal aid.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:35 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• I'm not so sure that a doctor would/could order a test for just ONE STD. I think it's standard to run for all.

As for coming after you, you are now legally an adult, so they can come after you to pay the bill. But, I'd look into help from victim advocates to help pay the bill if you filed charges on your abuser. Your abuser should have to pay any and all medical bills associated with what happened.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 17, 2011