Moms that did not circumcise but dad is....???

Have you had the "why does daddy's look different question?"

My 7 yr old asked this question and since dad was at work, I figured it would be best if I just answered it straight up instead of doing the "talk to your dad" bit.

DS "mom, why does dads penis look different"
Me "well, dad is circumcised and you and your brothers are not"
DS "what is circumcised?"
Me "well, you know the extra skin that you have that daddy does not? Well that is called foreskin, and when dad was a baby, mama and papa chose to have it removed"
DS "mom, how do they remove it?"
me "Well, they cut it off."
DS at this point his eyes widen and he covers his crotch with his hand.
DS "um, doesn't that hurt?"
Me "Yes, but they do numb the baby before they cut it so it doesn't hurt as bad"
DS "Mom, I don't want that to happen to me"
Me (I giggled), "don't worry buddy, we aren't going to circumcises you."
DS "oh good, because I don't want you to. "

If you've had to deal with this conversation, how did it go?

Later DS asked more about circumcision and I went over as much as I could with him, in the end he thanked me for not circumcising him. Course he is really to young to understand it all, but I was surprised at how simplistic it all went.

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 4:51 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes. my 6 year old asked about it. When we told him his dad's foreskin was cut off his reply was "I'm glad you didn't cut me!"
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• why is a 7 yr old looking at his dad penis??
    Anonymous

• Oh please, anon, like you never went to the bathroom in front of your kids! Not to mention some families aren't uptight about nudity!
    Anonymous

• Anon... He has seen his dad naked before. OMG... a young boy seeking his dad naked, we should be teaching him to be totally ashamed of the human body..... instead we've felt that its important that young boys see what real men look like and young girls see what real woman look like before the media steps in and distorts the image of what a real body looks like. I guess the best way to put it, is we are not prudes, and if my husband is taking a shower and my ds needs to pee... he goes into the bathroom and pees and if he catches a glimpse of his naked dad.. oh well.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• MrsMWF, I had to laugh when my son covered his crotch... The look on his face was priceless it was a mixture of shock, fear and "WTF".... it was priceless.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• LOL. I did not circ my son. The Doctor did.
    Both my son and his Dad( my DH) were. They are both happy. SOn is married now and his son was also circumcised by the Doctor.
    But your story was adorable.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:10 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• My son's biological father is not circed, but my fiance (who has lived with me and raised my son with me for 3 years) is not. He has seen both men go to the bathroom and isn't concerned yet. He is 3.5.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 5:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• My almost 4 year old has never asked.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• That is way too sweet!
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2011