How come having a vaginal some stay for 2 days and some for just a day?

I saw on another question some went home after a day and some 2 when they had there babies vaginally. Both mu first 2 kids were vaginal and I stayed 2 days it would be nice to only have to stay 1 day this time around. How do I get that option if I can? My neighbor had a son 2 years ago and she was only in the hospital overnight and she had a c-section I thought that was crazy for a c-section.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• If you have no complications just tell your doctor you want an early discharge. I've known some people to leave the hospital within 6 hrs. of giving birth.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 5:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• For me, I lost a lot of blood with ds and had to be monitored, so I was in 2 days. With my dd, I was up walking around an hour after having her, so they let me go home the next day...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I stayed for four with my first, because it was a million years ago and I had been in labor for four days before the birth.
    The second was a breeze. I was in labor about three hours and was only at the hospital about an hour before.
    The third was sick and we were rushed to a major medical center the next morning. He was admitted I wasn't
    The fourth was 8 years later and with three boys at home and no help, I told the Dr. I needed the rest.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:07 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• If you are strep b postive you have to stay 2 days or if you have an epidural. If you have a natural(no pain med birth) you can leave in one day.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:16 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• it has to do with the baby, not you. some hospitals want all babies to stay for at least 2 days to check for jaundice. i stayed for 2 days. i asked the day i gave birth, because i gave birth at 5 in the morning, if i could go home that night and they said i could but they prefer babies to stay for 2 full days. so i decided to stay with her. and besides why pass up free meals for 2 days
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• ahhh got ya. I wasn't strep b positive, but I did have an epidural both times
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i had to stay in the hospital 2 days before they would release me
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Yeah I think having an epidural has something to do with it. I had 3 with epidurals and stayed 2 days. My last one was without an epidural and I left the next day after she was born. They have to make sure you get your feeling back in your legs and your spinal area recovers after they stick that long needle in there.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• epi may be a rule at some hospitals, which doesn't really make sence to me because the medicines are out of your system within hours. mine you can get one and still leave whenever you want, but baby has to stay. they just assume mom wants to stay so they keep mom admitted as long as the baby.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• you can always ask to go home within 24 hours I did with mine and they said ok
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:21 PM on Apr. 16, 2011