• In the Spotlight:

At what age is whining and crying supposed to stop. SMH. arghh! They are 8 year olds!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• About 30 if you are lucky.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• In our house, if you whine or cry about something (besides getting hurt or hurt feelings), you go to the cry chair (time out chair) and you sit there till 2 of 2 this happen. You stop crying or whining, and mom or dad excuse you. That's for the 2,3,and 5 yr old right now. My 7 yr old, if he starts whining or throwing a temper, he gets to scrub walls or floors or do another type of not so fun chores... I don't like whining. You can express your opinion or your need in words.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:22 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• that sounds like a good idea, however my daughter would love to scrub walls, and clean. They like to my helper, even when I just want to do it myself. They love it. And I just took them away from one another, and they cried and cried and didnt stop for well over a half hour. I know I have to stand my ground, and I just kept walking by them like I didnt hear them. They know if they stop crying and whining they can go back to playing. However, after about forty minutes, I went up to her and firmly told her...she needs to quiet her mouth, or she is going to cry more if I make her go to bed. She still cried, but stopped after ten minutes. Arggh..so frustrating. there is no need to be acting like this at their age.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• just keep with it, and stay firm. Bad behavior usually escalates before it gets better, expect it to take about 2 weeks to a month for the change to really set in. But you have to be very consistent.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:01 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I send my son to his room. I just tell him that he is too old to be carrying on that way, and I really don't want to hear it. He can go to his room and whine all he wants, and when he is ready to sit and discuss it with me in a big boy tone, he may come out. There have been times he has stayed in there a few hours. His choice! I will peek in his door and ask if he is ready to sit and talk and he will tell me no, not yet!
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 2:47 AM on Apr. 17, 2011