IUD?? or NOT? adult content

My daughter is thinking about getting an IUD?? I've never had one...don't know what to tell her about it.... sooooo... ladies...... Have any horror stories.... advice.... pros/cons stories? Is sex normal after the device is in place? Is there any danger? Can she get toxic shock syndrome easier with an IUD? HELP!!

FingerPainter

Asked by FingerPainter at 5:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Health

• my dr suggested me getting one after my dd was born 14mnths ago..but if you read the pamplet they give you at the dr it says there is a chance of it going thru the uterine wall and causeing some damage...its really better to ask your dr..but when i read that it was a big ol no for me..some ppl have them and like them..good luck
    Anonymous

• I had paragaurd. It was done in my doctor's office. There was discomfort but no actual pain. There was cramping for most of the day but not the worst I've ever had. Unfortunately one of the rare side effects is that your body can reject it and within a month It was expelled. Again there wasn't any pain just mild discomfort.
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 6:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i have had the copper iud in for 3 years, its good for 10, and i have had no problems at all!! the doc told me that it was better than getting tubes tied.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Her husband will be able to feel it, she CAN get pregnant on it (usually ends in late term miscarriage) can go through the uterine wall, causes PID, there ARE hormones in it. If she were my friend and asked me my opinion, I would tell her no way!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I had Mirena, twice!
    The first time was in the middle of 2008, after my second child, and everything seemed fine until the "spotting" never went away. My husband felt the string and he hated it. I got infections easily. Got depressed and lost my sex drive....I guess thats how you know it's effective, you lose interest. Well had that for a year and a half, then moved to a new town, got a new doc and had it removed. Turn out, my last Doc inserted it wrong. It was crooked inside of me...hence all the problems.
    Anywhooo, my doc insisted that get a replacement, so I did.
    BAD IDEA~
    My problems were even worse. Gained weight, Acne, Moody, no Sex-drive. Spotting all the time! Had to wear a liner for the majority of that year. Infections, pretty much what can go wrong, would, minus baby. So finally, I came to my senses & had that darn thing taken out! Best decision EVAH! Hormones are back to normal and I'm me again. Don't get it
    scottshoney

Answer by scottshoney at 11:19 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• IUD's scare me.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 5:50 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I do not have one. I know a few people who did, 1 had no issues with it, no un expected pregnancys, and she had it taken out and got pregnant within a year. another friend had it, got prego on it, and it fell out. My dr sugested it to me and I passed. I am not sure If I want it
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 10:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• my doctor told me to use the nuva ring instead because there are way less side effects...the worst of all for me was weight gain. She said to leave the ring in for 4 weeks and then replace it with a new one. As long as you dont leave it out for more than 2 hours or forget to replace it with a new one you won't have a period.
    MaddyTaylor

Answer by MaddyTaylor at 12:26 AM on Apr. 17, 2011

• THANK YOU for that honest and informative advice! I plan to tell her that I do NOT recommend this at all... but.. I'd like to hear more about the Nuva Ring so that I will have a bit of knowledge about the alternative suggestion for her.... does anyone know if the Nuva Ring causes loss of sex drive, worse mood swings, is it painful, can SO feel it at all during sex??? Please let me know because she will ask and I don't have a clue.. all I have ever done is the pill and she will forget to take it if she goes on that once her shot wears off... she doesn't want the weight gain with the shot.... so.... Nuva Ring may be way to go... any more first hand experience information you can offer on that would be much appreciated! :)
    FingerPainter

Comment by FingerPainter (original poster) at 12:42 AM on Apr. 17, 2011