Concern? (we'll try this again - warning, contains more than 3 syllables and 5 words)

A bit of a spin off of a few of the questions today -

The heart of Christianity is that you believe Jesus is your savior. Period. End of story. Every faction and division has it's own little auxiliary rules and hoops to jump through, but in the end, that's what it comes down to. 2 entities, 3 possibilities: you believe he exists and that he's a savior, you believe he existed but was just a man, or you don't believe he existed at all. Never are there more than 2 entities in that equation - Jesus and the person deciding if they believe or not.

So why is there so much concern over what other people are doing? There are scriptures saying to "spread the word". As we've established here repeatedly, on CM at least, you aren't going to find a single person who hasn't already heard about the idea, and most of us, no matter what religion we do or don't practice these days, started out as some variety of Christian. That's true of most Americans, and safe to say, most people in the Western Hemisphere. Even those raised Jewish or Muslim still learn some or all of the bible and are aware of the concepts even if they don't believe the same way, and those raised atheist or agnostic, or another religion, are still steeped in Christian culture, because it's integral to education - you cannot learn history, music, art, literature, or even science, without also learning the historical impact of the church setting policies and laws that directly impacted each of those areas.

So with all that in mind, why are there still SO MANY people who get bent out of shape over other people examining that 2 entity relationship and not making the same choice they did? For that matter, why are there still so many people who can't even comprehend that there are other people who aren't Christians in some form, and that everyone doesn't fall into practicing or lapsed, but that there are millions and millions of people who practice other religions entirely (or none at all) and are perfectly happy about it?

At what point does "accept Jesus" and "spread the word" transform into "put yourself in the middle of everyone else's relationship with Jesus" and "force the word whether they want it or not, even after they've already heard it"? Is it truly fear for someone else, or is it fear that the believer might be wrong? Insecurity or concern? What exactly is the thought process that takes someone from "I must work on my relationship with Jesus" to "I must work on someone else's relationship with Jesus"?

(sorry to have closed it the first time, it did have a few good answers, shame someone felt the need to derail it from the start because it was too complicated for them)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:52 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• clapping

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• NP......... Can I just copy and paste my other answer...

I keep checking to see if you had received any other answers yet..... maybe this time you will get more responses.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I think you should believe whatever makes you happy and I should believe whatever makes me happy life is too short for this battle. The reality is there are more beliefs out there then we can possibly know about and to keep our mind closed to it would be wrong and short sided.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:56 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

Go ahead - I flipped a coin between yours and the other one to close it :)
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I agree with you 100%....too bad I almost didn't read it at all because of your condiscending title. Sorry some people act like idiots, but we are not all idiots.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I find this to be a interesting/good question, and I'm looking forward to reading the answers.

As someone who was born/raised Hindu in America, I can honestly say that: Yes I have heard the "message" I have heard it repeatedly. Like is stated in the OP, you can't really grow up in the U.S. and NOT hear it. It's very pervasive influence on the culture.Like it would be for a Christian growing up in India, that person would know quite a bit about Hindus/Hinduism simply by growing up in that culture.I have heard the message, all my life I have been told all my life here or there/by one person or another, how I need to convert, accept Christ, start believing in hell/sin..and so on ad nauseam.The reality is this, If I were interested..If Christianity touched me and was the right path for me as a human being.. I would have already done so.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:03 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• 6 replies seems to be your top out on this one NP......... LOL

Well so far any way.... It will probably get more tomorrow? the next day? maybe the next since it will be a Monday?? :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Most of it is insecurity, I believe. Some people are not as strong in their beliefs as they claim to be, and so they have to belittle other people for their beliefs. Maybe that's part of human nature, when you're insecure, you lash out at everyone else (especially those who are 'different' from you), idk. Some of it is probably ignorance. Those people live in a bubble, and have no idea that their little world isn't the most important thing to everyone else out there.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• It may make you mad, but many people are being "saved" everyday by hearing the word of God. Christians don't see it as ineffective or a waste of time...because what they're doing is working to some extent.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• It may make you mad, but many people are being "saved" everyday by hearing the word of God.

It may make you mad, but are they being saved by hearing the word, or by having that moment of reconciliation between themselves and the idea of Jesus?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Apr. 16, 2011