have you been denied employment because you have young(infant) kids?

I went in for a entry level interview for a bartender position last week. the position is no expirence is needed and training is provided. on the application i had to state if i was married and if i had any kids and how old they were. did the interview and the manager/owner said "im nervous about hiring you because you have an infant, usually when an infant gets sick at night." im not worried about your 5 yr old because they go to sleep on time.despite me assuring him that there is a grandmother and husband when i would be at work who are more than capable to hold down the fort , you could tell at that point this job wasn't mine., or moreso if i didn't get hired thats the main reason why. has that happened to you as well? i also found out those questions if i was married or had kids and how old are technically questions that should'nt be asked and if im not hired its a form of discrimination.... let me know what you think

jayceeluv

Asked by jayceeluv at 2:08 AM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Money & Work

• I think that is a form of discrimmation. You should contact the labor board and see what they say about that. It's never personally happened to me but I am pretty sure it's illegal.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• she is right on some levels...plus bartending is harder then it looks..plus the hours...are you going to work all night and sleep all day. that is pretty much what youll have to do.
    and yes got turned down a job. i needed it but was glad the hours were like that.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• for this club its only open from 10-2am and only on fri and sat nites so having sleep time and reg family time wouldn't be an issue
    jayceeluv

Answer by jayceeluv at 2:13 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• While it may be discrimination it makes sense for why he'd ask. Chances are there have been issues in the past where he hired a mother of an infant and it hurt the job more then anything. Mothers with infants have a higher rate of quitting to be with their children as well as higher rates of calling in sick due to their infants. At least he was honest with you about the reason. He didn't make you doubt yourself as a valuable employee he just questioned if it was a smart choice because your desire to be a mom comes first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I agree that that's at the very least bordering on discrimination. He may question your ability to handle it but is it your decision and right to work when and how you choose. You assured him that their were others to take care of the baby, it was wrong of him to assume that you were unfit for work just because you are a mom.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:15 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• yes and that is correct. i covered that with him as well because my support system of my mom and husband is under the same roof so if she did get sick they are capable of handling things including insurance ect if im at work...... thanks for your input
    jayceeluv

Answer by jayceeluv at 2:16 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Anon, he has no right to use his past experience with other mothers to analyze her ability to work. If he had used the same logic here based on her sex or race we would not even be having this conversation!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:19 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I've been denied a job in the past because i was a single mom and also because he was afraid of the issue his wife would make because I was a young attractive woman working for him. I figured screw it I didn't want to work for someonel ike that anyways. The Bar's manager was probably worried that as a mother issues would arise and you'd feel guilty leaving a sick child with someone else and your urge to be a mother would override your need or desire to work. Not to mention that 90% of bars want their women to look available to their male customers. My friend works for a bar that doens't allow SO to sit at the bar and they are not allowed to attend to their boyfriends tables .
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• yeah its one of those things where you just know. he was inpressed where ive worked in a club setting before especially in las vegas which is 2 times different than chicago but once we got to that subject the vibe and everything else changed... idk well see
    jayceeluv

Answer by jayceeluv at 2:25 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

• hope you got it
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:29 AM on Dec. 2, 2008