How do I help my children cope with their father moving 200 miles away?

My ex husband lost his job, him and his girlfriend were evicted from their apartment and found it impossible to stay with their friend because their friend expected them to keep their 2 year old quiet all night and day because he has no responsibilities and would party all night and sleep all day so his girlfriend finally broke down and admitted all the problems to her mom who told them they could come back and live with her. For over a year I've had a very civil relationship with my ex, my family and I were even very close with his daughter who was treated like my own kids (my family always included her in holidays and bought her birthday gifts and I often babysat her). So my family and I are feeling the loss of my ex's kid and my kids loved the fact that me and their dad could still do things as a family but now with their dad and little sister so far away we're not sure how long it will be before they can come up here and visit or when they can go down there for a visit. Of course their dad and his girlfriend intend to call the kids and their dad said he'll write letters to our 6 year old since she's reading now but I can still see how sad they are.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just be honest with them. They will adjust. You may have to keep explaining why dad doesn't come visit for a while but it will be fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:14 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• One thing my friend did was meet her family midway for an entire day of visiting. They found a park where they could go after having lunch somewhere and they would visit for the day and then drive home. It was about 1.5 hours for each. It might be about 2 hours for you to meet half way. Maybe something like that could be worked out. Just an idea...............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:20 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• yes my dd is 6 years old and she wants to know why her dad lives far away... but there was alot of problems with him and his choices just keep telling her he loves her and he did not have no choice i hope things work out for you
    Kattie825

Answer by Kattie825 at 8:31 PM on Apr. 16, 2011