I had an epidural both previous preg.....is it possible to do it natural without any birthing classes?

I can't find any classes before my due date - and i will prob go early within the next week or two according to my doctor. any tips for someone wanting to do it natural

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 6:23 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Women have been giving birth without any instruction since the dawn of (wo)Mankind!
    BUT we haven't been doing it IN hospitals, WITH doctors, in a litigious/fear-based practice style until recently.
    Women who opt for health and safety and want to avoid unnecessary interventions have to do more than prepare their minds to relax and surrender.
    They also need to prepare to advocate for themselves (or have good help to do so)...

You can use a doula-- like birth classes but maybe better! She will help prepare you prenatally, but she will be that info & support & encouragement in-person, through the labor and birth process.

You can do what ever you wish, but it will be wise to prepare to help ensure your preferences are respected AND you are helped with coping strategies so you can progress and enjoy the process naturally.

:-)
    Best wishes!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I had my 2nd and 4th natural, 1st and 3rd with an epidural, no birthing classes. I won't lie, it was miserable and hard but I'm glad I did it. I think a woman's body knows what to do when in labor, it's second nature. The only advice I have for you is to keep your breathing slow and deep...if you start to hypervenilate it can harm the baby. It's called labor for a reason, it's hard damn work! lol but so worth it. Good Luck!!
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I had my 2nd and 3rd without anything. They came fairly quickly once I hit the hospital, within 2 hours. For me the key was doing most of my labor at home. I just kept doing things with my family and walking and standing until the labor took my breath away and the contractions were 2-5 minutes apart.

With #2 I was 8 cm when I got to labor and delivery. They thanked me for showing up. I was 4 cm with #3 but he came faster.

You can do it if you really set your mind to it. But there is no dishonor in getting the epidural.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:27 PM on Apr. 17, 2011