Does your child have a imaginary friend?

My 3 yr old has had 3. In our old house "Ian" was a ghost and could fly and would play tag with her. No one had ever played tag with her at the time because she was only 1 1/2 so we are not sure where she learned it. I'm a wahm so she doesn't go to daycare and I haven't found any play groups. Her newest ones have been around for almost a year although "Ian" still comes around. So the new ones are "Stevie" (a boy which is odd because she know a Stevie but its a girl Stevie and she doesn't know any steves). The other one is "Che-cha" (a girl). These two are 3 and go to school and she always wants us to go to school to pick them up. She's always telling me that they are in a different room than me.
Any way anybody else have imaginary friends in there home?

CrazyMommy87

Asked by CrazyMommy87 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• no
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Yes
    juliemomx2

Answer by juliemomx2 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• My oldest son had one named Charlie. My son was an only child and was lonely, so he made up a friend. When he had more friends, Charlie went off to college. It is very normal and shows that you have a creative child.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Although my ddis the oldest she developed these friends after getting a sibling and she now has 2 younger brothers.
    CrazyMommy87

Comment by CrazyMommy87 (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I have 5 kiddos and not one has ever had an imaginary friend... BUT.... that doesn't mean anything at all...... lots of kiddos have imaginary friends..... sometimes they meet a certian need for the child..... also... if she hears you talking on the phone to people that she doesn't see or hear but you say there is a friend on the phone.... she may manifest her own imaginary friends to be like the ones you seem to have.... who knows what goes on for sure in the mind of a sweet three year old! LOL! I would consider her healthy and just fine.... unless... of course... you begin to hear things yourself... then... you may live in a haunted house and in that case... I wouldn't call a doctor but rather HOLLYWOOD! :)
    FingerPainter

Answer by FingerPainter at 6:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Jut because she has siblings doesn't mean she might not need a friend. My little sister was the youngest of five kids and she had several through the years. I really is nothing to worry about.

:D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:41 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• My brother did, he said he lived in the attic. Right before we sold the house we found out there was a boy who died of cancer that lived in that house in the 80s. It was wierd. My brother is now 16yo and still remembers him.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 6:48 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Yes. My dd has them she is 4yo & has had them for a long time. They have odd names --JonJon, Ding Ding, John Rewburt, and another one i cant remember.

When i was growing up i was the last of 3 with a 12yr age gap. I had a "friend" but my family said he had alot of similarities as my grandfather-- who died when my dad was 12yr old. And the first time i seen a pic of my grandfather, it felt like it wasnt the 1st time i had seen him. but it was a few yrs after my "friend" went away .. I dont have any memories of my "friend" at all.. but my family tells me many stories about it. im 27.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• My DD doesn't have any imaginary friends,but she's just talking with the ghosts we have here. And they talk to her too. Do you know how creepy it is to hear someone sing "Twinkle Twinkle" over the baby monitor to your daughter when you and her are the only ones in the house? *shudder*
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 8:08 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• yes my dd had one his name was Mike and she would tell me that mike sleeps on the floor nbext to her bed to make sure no one will hurt her shes had this friend since she was 2.5 and hes still around even after we had moved
    Kattie825

Answer by Kattie825 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 16, 2011