My one year old son suddenly refuses to eat dinner, nothing with a spoon, and will not pick up the foods he used to at dinner time, only cereal and bananas. Help??

MomaD4

Asked by MomaD4 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he won't starve, I promise he will eat when he is hungry enough. Try not to let it stress you out.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• my son goes through phases... one day he eats alot other days he doesn't really eat much. He will be ok!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• if you're worried give him pedielite (sp)
    June_Mama09

• I have cereal and bananas for dinner sometimes. Mr. Green At times I have a yogurt with it.

So long as your baby is eating something I wouldn't worry so. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Thanks! I just get nervous because he had started to eat almost anything, anytime. Now he just doesn't like dinner time. Do you think it has anything to do with his teething??
    MomaD4

Comment by MomaD4 (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Could definitely be related to the teething. Offer healthy choices and he will come around.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Offer him his meals, and he'll eat when he's hungry. He's one, so IDK if he is nursing, or if you still give formula (you didn't specify so for all I know he could be just 12 mos old, and if that's the case, it's not unheard of to still be having a little formula), but if he IS either nursing or taking some formula, that's a help, if he drinks a lot of milk you may want to cut back a little bit, so that he doesn't fill up on milk, and may eat more. He won't starve himself though. Toddlers tend to exist on air and the occasional chicken nugget LOL. Go with the flow, and you will likely notice his eating habits changing often through the next year. He is also probably learning that he has some control, and this is a common way for toddlers to exercise that. And we thought infancy and infant feeding was confusing...
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i would be strict he will eat if hungry dont let him tell you what your gonna do
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 2:29 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Thanks everyone....He is 12 months, transitioning off the formula/bottles to sippy cups and milk. I have stretched out his breakfast and lunch (which he eats very well) and figure he would be so hungry by dinner time. Yesterday this worked, today not so much. Wish I could survive on just breakfast and lunch!!! LOL He still gets his bottle (half formula/half milk) just before bed, I'm mostly concerned he is not eating enough, when he does eat, he eats healthy......bananas, cheerios, pb n j on wheat bread, yogurt, peas n carrots and when he is in the mood for dinner he gets whatever we are eating (chicken in particular).
    Can you give me some ideas of what your babies eating habits were like at this age? (12.5 months)
    ~Thank you all
    ~~~Just another concerned new Mommy :)
    MomaD4

Comment by MomaD4 (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2011