How to potty train son with autism

TMS28

Asked by TMS28 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I potty trained my daughter who has Autism by taking her to the bathroom every few hours. If she went I would praise her. Also her School worked with me too.
    puzzled216

Answer by puzzled216 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i been doin that
    thanks alot
    TMS28

Comment by TMS28 (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• It depends on his particular issues. If you want to be more specific, I can try and give you some techniques to try.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• One thing that worked with my son was a picture chart showing the different steps of going potty (pull pants down, use potty, flush, wash) and I taped it up to the bathroom door. that way he had a visual reminder of what he needed to do when he had to potty. I also used a sticker chart and each time he sat on or used the potty he got a sticker and when he got so many stickers he got a reward.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:00 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Lots of patience - but you already know that. For my son, the picture chart of the steps and regular trips to the bathroom (we started at every 15 minutes) helped. We also waited until he was ready. He was about 4 1/2 when he learned.
    quietsmilie

Answer by quietsmilie at 4:59 PM on Apr. 17, 2011

• Maybe a picture chart or something
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 12:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• MisLee has some good suggestions
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2011