Do you ever think of things like this and feel so vulnerable?

I know I shouldn't think of things like this bc there's no point. All I can do is my best to protect my child, and all it does is scare me so much that I can hardly breathe. However, occasionally I'll think of "what if" something happened to my son. It seriously terrifies me. I honestly would not want to live without him. Losing him is unimaginable. I know I'd be absolutely grief-stricken if I lost the other people who are closest to me, but now that I have a child, it's on an entirely different level.When I hear stories of kids with cancer, kids who are kidnapped, and kids who pass away, I can hardly handle it. I feel so vulnerable. I love him so much...more than I ever thought you could love a person. It's amazing to love him so much, but I feel like now my life and happiness lies within this little person and his well-being.

Anyways, does anyone else think like this? I try not to, but when I hear of other people who have lost their kids, I'm gripped with fear at the thought of something happening to my own child.

My mom always told me that when I had a child, I'd love them more than I ever could have imagined, and she was so right. But with that comes such vulnerability.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 7:44 PM on Apr. 16, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, I am panicked about them all the time. in Seattle an 8 year old was take from the playground and raped and the guy dropped her off at Walmart. My son is 8. I live in fear when they go to school, go to playdates, any time they aren't with me. I don't think it goes away. But they MUST learn to stretch their wings and one must discuss dangers in our world. I hate to do it but my dh and I always have the reminder chat about strangers, what to do, etc...on and on it goes. I see 6 and 8 year olds walking to school and I always think it's CRAZY!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• I think it's pretty common for young mothers to think like this. You do learn to not think like that cause it will only drive you nuts. All you can do is make plans for IF something happened. Life insurance, a care taker for the kid's. things like that.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:47 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• Yea, my son is only 18 months old, but I know as he gets older it will probably only get harder. For now, I can protect him from a lot of things, but I know I won't always be able to. My brother and I are 26 and 22 and my mom said it never goes away. He's at the Coachella music festival on the other side of the country right now and she's worried sick. She's texting him constantly, and he finally told her that he's having too much fun to remember to check for texts from him mom the entire time, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 8:33 PM on Apr. 16, 2011